MDC, Landowners & Free Foodplot Seed

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Chairman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I saw an announcement in the local paper the other day, that said the MDC was handing out FREE foodplot seed to landowners. The Regional office in Clinton is, anyways.

Well ~ it's twue, it's twue... :banana:

And from what I heard, there's still plenty to go 'round. I picked up my FREE lespedeza & milo seed, today.

I usually miss out on the free seed, but not this year! :dancin:

2. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    How much did they give you? I went to one in Macon last weekend and picked up some foodplot seed. They had several small bags @ 2 lbs. ea. of a mixture - looked like a quail mgt. blend. They also had some milo or sorghum that they didn't seem to want to give away.

3. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Yep ~ same stuff.

I got eight bags, total ~ four bags of each (lespedeza & milo).

4. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    Good deal, you done good. I think the stuff I got had everything already mixed in. Clover, lespedeza, sorghum, millet, maybe even sunflowers - but the bags were for a small plot, like @ 1/4 - 1/2 acre or so and they attempted to limit me to 3 bags. I grumbled a bit and they gave me some extra milo or grain sorghum.

Its just about planting time. :eek:

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    They asked me how many acres I owned, plus I told them I had two 1-acre foodplots, so she handed me the maximum amount.

She said it was right at the amount I'd need to plant 2 acres...

They took my name & phone number, too.

Just wonderin' ~ do they come out to take a look at your foodplots?

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    They do ours.. guess it depends on the agent you have. Some are more willing to follow up than others. I would recommend that you insist that they come back and see how things are going.

7. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.

Chairman, I've never had them come out and look at mine. I imagine it would be easier for them to look at satellite maps like Farm Services does.

8. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    They don't come around here and give out seed until the last week of april or the 1st week of May. You guys are lucky to get it this early!

9. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    Good to hear that those folks knew what they were doing. At Macon, I show up and inquire about the seed and they hand me three small bags (enough for about one acre). I have maps and plat book copies of my acreage in the truck, so I ask, does it matter how many acres I own or how many acres I plan to put into food plots? The person says no. Well I recognize the private land conservationist and ask him If I can get some of the big bags and at first they say no, but finally give a big bag to me and one for my neighbor. So it ended up OK. Still glad to hear that some places have it figured out a little better.

10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I need to tell Mobiggie

11. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    I got some seed as well... clover blend, think is says quail on the bag. when do I plant this?

12. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    I got some of this free seed once.......and that was one time too many. It was absolutely loaded with weed seed.......foxtail, thistle, johnsongrass, shattercane, you name it. Just about went broke buying Roundup to kill off all the crap I got from it. All I'll say is good luck to all who try it.