MDC Bowhunter Education Patch

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by Chairman, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I passed MDC's Bowhunter Education class this weekend, and I received this patch as a result.

Pretty slick lookin', if I must say so myself...

(the black background is my keyboard)

[​IMG]

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    How was the class Rick.. worth it I imagine?

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Way to go. It really does look slick. Give us a rundown on the basic class topics. Would it benefit and old geezer like me?

4. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Oh yeah ~ especially since I know hardly anything about bows, except for crossbows.

I'd like to sit thru it again sometime, just so I could be a little more relaxed, instead of trying to cram every morsel of information into 10 hours.

I have much to learn.

BTW ~ if you'd like to see the workbook we get with the class, I can bring it to the Deer Classic.

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yep.. bring it along. Id like to take it when time permits :)

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Good job Chairman!!! Cool patch....I guess they didn't have those back when I took the class...

7. xxx

xxx Guest

:cheers::cheers: Congrats Rick......

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    You'd think that a fella that has been bow hunting for 50 years knows about all there is to know about it wouldn't you. Wrong.......My last shot stuck a tree. I think I need a brush up course don't cha think? I'll have to check out MDC web site for info on the next class in my area.

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    There were plenty of experienced bowhunters on hand, so the room was filled with a wealth of knowledge & experience. The class was full to capacity, with plenty of local & long distance Missouri residents, plus out-of-state bowhunters. Most were my age group (forty-something), which is consistent with the average age of Missouri hunters.

There was so much to learn/teach, we kept breaks to a minimum. I'd be typing all night, if I'd try to touch on everything we discussed, so I'll do it this way: I'll name all the chapters in the workbook (but by no means was it limited to these topics).

The title of the workbook is:

Today's Bowhunter ~ The Responsible Bowhunter's Guide

1) Introduction to Bowhunting

2) Wildlife Conservation

3) Safe & Responsible Bowhunting

4) Know Your Bow & Arrow

5) Preparation Before The Hunt

6) Use Of Elevated Stands & Other Bowhunting Techniques

7) Shot Placement & Recovery Techniques

8) Outdoor Preparedness

We also had some outdoor exercises to perform:

Estimating Distances ~ Shoot / Don't Shoot ~ Blood Trailing

PLUS: Since I was in no position to go down the rough trails, for the distance & shoot/don't shoot course, they set me up with my own personal course throughout the parking lot.

I learned a lot, and had a great time all the same... :banana:

10. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

How long ago did you take the class?

I never even knew there was a bowhunter education class, until I saw the notice in our local paper, earlier this year...

11. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Was your class one day or two? The reason I ask is that I am going to take that class in Bois D'Arc this summer and it is one day. I wonder how many hours it will be. If it is anything like their hunters education courses they have to be the same amount of hours. I am really looking forward to it. I would also be interested in taking the instructors class, someday.

12. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Two days...a total of 10 hours

Friday: 6pm-10pm

Saturday: 8am-2pm

13. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    For those who wanted to take the instructor class, they had to stay until 6pm today ~ an additional 4 hours, on top of the first 10 hours of class.

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I took it I'm guessing about 10 yrs ago...feller by the name of Denny Ballard was our instructor....

15. kcraider21

kcraider21 New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Belton, MO
  16. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Interesting......I need to take that class! I want one of those patches too!

Parker

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Lets find a central location and get a mo whitetails group together for the class.. anyone interested?

18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    That's what a couple of 3-D teams did, this weekend.

I think they had a lil' too much fun Friday night, 'cause they were late for class Saturday morning... :D

BTW ~ FREE donuts, both mornings! :banana:

19. 8 point

8 point New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    SW MO
    Well done Rick been thinking of doing that myself congrats 8 point:cheers:

20. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Took the class, aced the test, yes 100%, still don't know squat compared to your folks experience! On the job training is better than any book learning out there, take that from a former Adjunct Instructor!
    :wave: