Maytag washer repair

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by Vector, May 21, 2009.

1. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :mad2: Well......anyone know anything about pulling apart a Maytag washer to see what's wrong with it? I'm going to get on their website, but figured I'd be better off seeing if I pro was out there.

Their customer service closed at 5.

On the spin cycle, it started with a constant squeak, and it smells like burnt rubber in the laundry room now.

:D Gotta get something going on this before Momma gets home, cause I'm going to be in hot water on this one, NO question about it!

Parker

2. Dane-ger

Dane-ger New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I dont wash my clothes sorry

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

is it one of those neptune front loads???? if so stop everything and hear me out

4. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    your going to have to set home next week waiting on the Maytag man :hysterical:

5. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1270838&tid=88984&author=Bricky]your going to have to set home next week waiting on the Maytag man :hysterical:[/rquote]

:eek: OH DO NOT EVEN GO THERE!

Just did a search......there's NO Maytag man around here. :roll2: Knew that one was coming......

Parker

6. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1270836&tid=88984&author=yankee]is it one of those neptune front loads???? if so stop everything and hear me out[/rquote]

Top loader. Made in 1998. Have I reached the life expectancy of a washer? Sure hope not. :mad2:

Parker

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If you have a bad belt, you will have to pull the drum I think. It can be a PAIN.
    Need a spanner wrench on some of 'em.. .special nut and coupler holds them in.

If all goes awry, you can always pull out that drum and use it for a fire pit... they work GREAT. :D

8. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    So you can't access it from the back huh? I was just getting ready to go check that, cause I'm sure not learning anything on their site.

I can't seem to imagine how to take the drum out of there. :mad2:

Parker

9. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    should be able to access the belt from the bottom
    just lay the washer on its back

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1270845&tid=88984&author=Parker][rquote=1270836&tid=88984&author=yankee]is it one of those neptune front loads???? if so stop everything and hear me out[/rquote]

Top loader. Made in 1998. Have I reached the life expectancy of a washer? Sure hope not. :mad2:

Parker[/rquote]ya better get it fixed in a hurry, you have my duck calls to make:hysterical: all kidding aside though it's 11yrs old, running atleast 1 load a day if you have kids, with 2 kids my first washer and dryer did not go 6yrs, i finally bought this neptune series washer and dryer and love it, i had 1 problem and maytag completely replaced the washer

11. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1270858&tid=88984&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]should be able to access the belt from the bottom
    just lay the washer on its back[/rquote]

;) I'll go check that out. Thank you.

Parker

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1270858&tid=88984&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]should be able to access the belt from the bottom
    just lay the washer on its back[/rquote]
    Yes.. what I forgot so say.

I've only cannibalized them for the drums.

Had a buddy that had a sock or somesuch get inbetween the drum and the outside and he had to remove the drum to get it out.
    Pain for sure.

13. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
  14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Let me take this opportunity to say that SOCD is a man of many talents. :D

Cool man! :claphands:

15. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    LAT9606AAE is the model number. I've got the manual and everything here.

Two belts on the bottom. Both of them are VERY loose, but neither are broken. Took them off, and put them back on, plugged power back in, and still no spin.

Think I need new belts?

I've got to think the motor is spinning, and the belts are not engaging, and that's where I'm getting the rubber smell and constant squeak from.

Parker

16. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    gotta give Dad props
    he's been in the appliance business longer than i've been alive
    i helped out (delivering appliances, helping to repair/service, etc) when he managed the store he was at for 20+ years before he opened his own place about 10 years ago

hopefully i'm right about accessing the belt from beneath the washer
    he's at my Neice's tumbling recital or i'd call him cuz he'd know for sure

17. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    sounds like new belts oughta do it

but i've got a connection if you're in the market for a new one...or even a used one

good luck

18. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :cheers: Thanks man. I appreciate the help! I'll call customer service tomorrow and see about getting some belts over-nighted for starters.

THERE BRICK! You can call me and SoCD the Maytag Repair Men! :D

Parker

19. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    u2u me with your location
    may be able to save you by buying from a local vendor vs. Maytag

20. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    surprised it had a belt...

Our old 1999 had a spider coupling...

That would have been fun for you to replace.

Belts should be a breeze.