Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I don't own a camera so there aren't any pics! :shrug:

But here is how I cooked it. It sounds complicated but wasn't... so give it a try! Even those who say they don't like deer will like it!:rock:

I actually had two small (@2 pounds each) deer roasts. I put a rack in the bottom of the slow cooker and about 2 cups of warm water. I put in about a half cup of sliced yellow onions in the water. I put the roasts in on the rack and then completely covered them in sauerkraut (I used 2 cans of the cheapest kraut the grocery store had = $0.59 per can). I did not drain the kraut first. I put the lid on the slow cooker, put it on medium and left it for 5 hours. While it was cooking a washed a couple pounds of small red potatoes and quartered them. No one in my house likes kraut so after the 5 hours were up I discarded the kraut, wiped kraut from the roast and poured out the juice out of the cooker. I put the roasts back in the slow cooker, put in a a package of McCormick beef seasoning on top of themt, and 2 cups of hot water. In the interest of speed, I microwaved the taters for 10 minutes to get them cooked then put them in the slow cooker along with a package of baby carrots. I turned the heat to medium-high and let cook another 2 hours. I put the taters and carrots into seperate bowls. The juice in the bottom of the cooker made awesome gravy too! My boys and the 20 year old's best friend ate til they couldn't eat any more. The boys friend proclaimed it was the best roast he's had and that it was way better then beef!

The sauerkraut tenderizes the meat and gives it great flavor (not like sauerkraut). Give it a try!
:rock:
Tater

·
Under appreciated
88,095 Posts
I hate sauerkraut but that sounds good!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,
When I read about it I was a skeptic but it works. And it will work on any cut of meat that you think might be a tough. It's one that you can start when you leave for work in the morning and it is done when you get home. And it makes the house smell GOOOOOOOOD!:D
Tater

·
PURE KILLER
37,998 Posts
way better than BEEF,what wrong with that boy:hysterical:sounds good just threw a roast in the crockpot might have to try some of seasoning's

·
Under appreciated
88,095 Posts
Right on...
If it makes the house smell like kraut though, its gonna have to cook on the workbench in the gayroj...
Cant stands the smell of that stuff. lol

·
6,643 Posts
I should have stuck around for dinner.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Kick me in the shins cause I hate the stuff...

But when my wife makes saurkraut she puts polish sausage in with it and I love the flavor the kraut give the sausage.

Definately gonna try this one and just let her have all the nasty ol kraut.

Might post this for Mrs.Reb to put in the MWT cookbook.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Right on...
If it makes the house smell like kraut though, its gonna have to cook on the workbench in the gayroj...
Cant stands the smell of that stuff. lol
I'm with Rat...I hate the smell of kraut but this does sound good.

·
King of Callaway
42,625 Posts
Gonna have to try this :thinking:

I love kraut :woot:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by kc704
U should have! U were invited!:wave:

·
6,643 Posts
Originally posted by TATER
Originally posted by kc704
U should have! U were invited!:wave:
I know, I know. But had too much to get done at my casa.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris,
I think we broke Derek in pretty well on deer processing, doncha think? :D

·
tutoring the most interesting man in the world
2,717 Posts
We served beef brisket and saurkraut at my wedding,..

Of course there were over 300 hungry, kolache eating, bohunks in attendance

·
6,643 Posts
Originally posted by TATER
Chris,
I think we broke Derek in pretty well on deer processing, doncha think? :D
Yea, you can send the "boys" over when I am thawing out everything to help do "clean up" cutting before I start making jerky.

·
Under appreciated
88,095 Posts
Originally posted by CodeRed
We served beef brisket and saurkraut at my wedding,..

Of course there were over 300 hungry, kolache eating, bohunks in attendance
:rof2::rof2:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I have added this to the cookbook

1 - 17 of 17 Posts