May 23, 2009 plots in !!!!!! update we have beans/corn YA

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by rmr, May 24, 2009.

1. rmr

rmr New Member

Man it has been struggle, after the first week of dry weather in forever, I made a push to plant the plots yesterday,
    the bottom ground worked as tough as it ever has it is for sure going to have to have a shower of rain to come up
    in the hills I mixed 15 pounds of corn to 200 pounds of rr beans, I also mowed my clover for the first time I would say normally I would have mowed it twice by now, I have one plot of clover that needs to be worked up probably will put into a fall plot this fall, then back to beans then back to clover[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] the hill ground plots ground worked good, and I think they will come without a rain,
    you might notice a couple of green strips in one of the plots
    those are volunteer beans I left for a experiment, they look pretty good,
    I started about 7 the wife came up and fixed breakfast
    lunch and we bar b q steak at the farm for supper doesnt get any better than that,

2. rmr

rmr New Member

It just doesnt get any better, had a great day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

That looks like my kinda fun. Really nice looking place you have there rmr, with the cabin overlooking the field and the pond. Hope the crops do good for ya.

You are sooo right: It doesn't get any better than that.

4. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
  5. Squatch

Squatch New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Barnhart, Mo
  6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

It looks good Mark. This is late for you to get your plots out. We actually are only one day behind ya this year. We got all but one of ours done today. The one that is left isn't a hunting plot and will get a fall mix this year. Now weekend after next if the weather is ok we get the no-till drill and do our cash crop and cp33's and we are done with everything.

:cheers::cheers:

7. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    man great job, looks great

8. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

That a boy Mark I am, always envious of the time and work You put into You great looking Place!
    :cheers:

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dekalb and Asgrow... cant say I would argue with that. :D

Lookin good as always RMR. :claphands:

10. rmr

rmr New Member

Im hoping rat that is the good stuff, the bottom ground was rough, I have about half that worked about as good as it could and 1/4 that was so so, and 1/4 that wasnt very good at all, but like my dad always says it wont grow in the sack,
    a shower of rain probably would do me some good Monday
    I planted 11 bags of seed, yesterday, its up to mother nature ,

11. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

:eek:::eek:::eek::

Hopefully those pay off for you with a great winter food source.

12. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Looks like another good year Mark.

13. henry

We are getting those showers here today Mark. So far just a nice soaker and no downpours. I hope its that same over there west where your place is.

14. rmr

rmr New Member

Henry getting a nice gentle shower, should be just right
    so far, wont pack the really loose ground and should help the cloddy ground,:2thumbsup: '
    I forgot to add earlier I crossed out my rows this year to get some extra seed in the plot since my old planter is on 40 inch rows guess we will see how it goes

15. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Looks like a winner, Mark. Hope you are getting some of the showers we are getting this am. :claphands::claphands::claphands:

16. henry

[rquote=1274439&tid=89176&author=rmr]Henry getting a nice gentle shower, should be just right
    so far, wont pack the really loose ground and should help the cloddy ground,:2thumbsup: '
    I forgot to add earlier I crossed out my rows this year to get some extra seed in the plot since my old planter is on 40 inch rows guess we will see how it goes[/rquote]

Canopies alittle slow in coming on those 40 inch rows I bet. Did you split rows on the second pass or plant across the other rows???? I've often thought about drilling wheat at half rate and drilling both directions in the field to see if it would help suppress weeds any better. The sunlight shining down those rows has to help weeds get a foot hold.

17. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Man thats livin'!! I got my throw and mow beans down on Friday. Bought 3 bags of RR beans for 18 bucks per bag.

18. rmr

rmr New Member

Henry I planted accross the rows, I have done it before and had some luck but never done it on the scale I did it this time, I planted 11 bags of beans on probably 8 acres
    so about 70 lbs per acre , I had another plot that I might still do I sowed some clover in this Feb it is coming but it got really wet in there this spring and I think washed some of the seed when it was frozen, so if it drys out I might put in a late plot of beans might plant them as late as the end of June, if the clover thickens up I will just leave it,

19. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    very very nice looking land, I hope Mother Nature rewards all that hard work...you may not want to show the pictures of that pond all these duckers will be jockeying for the best decoy spot to shoot those flying rats:D