Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck!! Bowtech Destroyer / Monster 7???

I shot a Monster 7 yesterday several times and I am only getting fps readings in the 270 range. That I am not satisfied w/!!! I am shooting same setup I had w/ my Reezen and I am losing almost 35fps Not sure what the deal is. I definitely want to do some more shooting and research on both bows before I put down hard earned cash on either.

All the talk I am hearing over on AT is that noone is having a problem getting 310 and beyond out of their M7's

I am not a speed freak but I know what I like my bow to shoot so that I have lil to no guess work involved when drawing down on a big whitetail anywhere from 0-30yds. I'm a 1 pin hunting fan:). It also kinda helps out when shooting the 3-d course:D When your hunting in western states and it happens fast sometimes you don't have time to range and adjust hold over or under on your pins.

I would like to hear any feedback positive/negative about your experiences w/ either bow. Thanks

Thank you for the feedback I got but I have had the opportunity to play w/ both the Mathews M7 and the Bowtech Destroyer 340/350's.

MY OPINION!! Keep in mind. Without a doubt the Destroyer outperformed the M7 in every catergory. Smooth Draw, Quiet, and FAST!!!! I ordered the 340 cuz I consistently got 320fps. everytime w/ my arrow setup which is PLENTY fast. I am getting all this and still get to shoot a 7+in. brace height bow. Got one on the way all in black!! Just wanted to pass along I am throughly impressed w/ this bow:2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

side note: I did really like the M7. It was smooth drawing and quiet but I am getting a lil better brace height and a bow that will actual do what it advertises IBO:)

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Haven't shot either but I've been happy with my bowtech!!

There have been rave reviews for both bows. I don't you'll go wrong either way!!

·
5,453 Posts
Well, I would guess that if you were in a archery shop they probably had either a 60lbs bow, or a 70lbs bow tuned down to 62-64lbs. They do that to increase smoothness of draw and to allow more people to be able to draw the bow without any problems. I am sure that if you were to get the monters 7 at 70lbs you would NO Doubt be able to get 310 if you arrows are light enough.
Have you shot the Z7 yet? I would not buy another bow before at least shooting that bow.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[rquote=1543369&tid=107475&author=twn417]Well, I would guess that if you were in a archery shop they probably had either a 60lbs bow, or a 70lbs bow tuned down to 62-64lbs. They do that to increase smoothness of draw and to allow more people to be able to draw the bow without any problems. I am sure that if you were to get the monters 7 at 70lbs you would NO Doubt be able to get 310 if you arrows are light enough.
Have you shot the Z7 yet? I would not buy another bow before at least shooting that bow.
Hope this helps. [/rquote]

I shot both and I turned both down all the way and pulled them on the scale. I know the Z7 is all the hype w/ Mathews right now but if I can get this Monster 7 to perform like I want it will be the one for me.

It is amazingly smooth to draw (even at 70), quiet, virtually shock free, and now if I can just get the speed issue resolved.

This bow has is all Smooth, generous brace height, great ATA, Speed??. It would be an ideal all around hunting/3-d bow IMO.

·
5,453 Posts
If you had them both up to 70lbs than I would say the grain of arrow was probably pretty heavy. But you should be shooting close to 400gr. If you are pulling 70lbs.
For myself, I think my arrow are right around 392 and that works perfectly. Completely set up I believe my Z7 is right around 304-306. I'm very happy with that especially with how quiet, smooth and forgiving it is.
Keep shooting you'll find the right bow for you.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1543437&tid=107475&author=twn417]If you had them both up to 70lbs than I would say the grain of arrow was probably pretty heavy. But you should be shooting close to 400gr. If you are pulling 70lbs.
For myself, I think my arrow are right around 392 and that works perfectly. Completely set up I believe my Z7 is right around 304-306. I'm very happy with that especially with how quiet, smooth and forgiving it is.
Keep shooting you'll find the right bow for you. [/rquote]

Yep I weighed my arrows on my scales here at home before I went and they were right at the 383gr. mark. This bow is just plain and simple not sizing up to its IBO advertised speeds. I'm not blaming the bow yet. If I can find my Chrono that screws into my stabilizer I would test it w/ it also. I'm thinking that the cool room and lack of lighting in the area I was shooting in had an effect. I am by no means giving up on this bow yet but I am going to do some playing around w/ it.

Don't throw rocks at me yet:peepwall: But I think Mathews as well as Hoyt have been notorious for creating false expectations in the speeds their bows produce.

I still have an open-:2thumbsup:mind though and we will see.....

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
hmm i wouldnt buy eithr brand myself i like hoyt and elite bows and most hoyts i have owned were under rated i know mathews over rates there bows seen too many of em go through the chrono i seen the alphaburner shoot through a chrono and it was faster than the new monster and hoyt rates it at 340 but elite bows are the smoothest pulling bows ive ever had my hands on

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,448 Posts
Tim
Mine shot 270-273 ish with a 330 or 340gr at 51-52 lbs if I remember correctly

28" mod backed down would measure around 28 3/4" actual draw length

I saw your AT post and something didn't sound right??

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1544070&tid=107475&author=twn417]Well they are all shot at 30in. draw
350 gr. arrow with no fletchings
Nothing on the bow or string and the bow is set at 70lbs.

That is pretty much the standard in IBO testing. [/rquote]\

Yep. Understood.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rob I was looking at the 350 but of course I can't find one anywhere to shoot. Have you got to get your hands on one yet??? I am just completely puzzled by my results w/ the Monster 7. I know from all the bows I've owned over the years what i can usually expect out of a given bow w/ their advertised specs. I usually don't change anything on my end as far as the way I set them up or the arrows I use. Thanks for any info you can shoot my way Rob

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was checkin them bofe out on the website....I'd love to actually get my hands on one before I make a decision. I might try and call Lee or Carl tommorrow and see if they have one or the other in yet.

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,448 Posts
I'd chrono the M7 turned up to 60lb with a 380gr arrow if it would cooperate with me. I think I need a light kit for it.Seems like you have to be in the perfect sunlight to get it to read correctly. I may mess with it this weekend

·
5,453 Posts
[rquote=1544087&tid=107475&author=macon county boy]hmm i wouldnt buy eithr brand myself i like hoyt and elite bows and most hoyts i have owned were under rated i know mathews over rates there bows seen too many of em go through the chrono i seen the alphaburner shoot through a chrono and it was faster than the new monster and hoyt rates it at 340 but elite bows are the smoothest pulling bows ive ever had my hands on[/rquote]

Elite archery makes incredible bows there is no doubt about that. I would bet that most of the Mathews bows that you have watched shoot under their IBO were not set up to IBO standards. I do not think that there is a bow that will shoot what they IBO once they are set up and they are shooting an arrow over 350 grains.
As far as Elite being the smoothest drawing bow...Well, like I said I love Elite archery, but I have hard time believing that any dual cam bow NO MATTER WHO MAKES IT can or would be smoother than a high end single cam... I just can't see that happening. But again I think it is probably all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
twin they are way smoother than any mathews who cares about a single cam bow but mathews the reezen was the roughest pulln mathews i ever seen i hate single cam bows that was good years ago when no one knew better i would rather have a bow that can be tuned than have a bow that is out of tune all the time pull a elite and you cant deny it man if you think a mathews is smooth jus go shoot a z28 or a newer elite or go shoot a hoyt the bowtechs are even alot smoother there are alot of good bows out there thats why i tell everybody to shoot em all

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok/Ok........To each his own and everyone on here likes what they like. I was just simply wanting feedback from folks that have had EXPERIENCE! w/ the bows I had mentioned. I am NOT! expecting to get IBO speeds out of a bow I chose. I shoot a 28.5'' draw and to get an IBO advertised speed is a lil outta the ?? wouldn't ya say:) I have shot enough bows and owned enough bows that going by an advertised IBO (should it be accurate)I know what I can expect out of my particular setup within reason.

The one thing I love about the Bowtechs is the birth certificate sent w/ them. They don't lie!!! At least the ones I've owned and I've owned my share. What thier BC say is usually very accurate.

I love new bow buying time!!!! Like I need an excuse to visit a bowshop:)

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Mathews used to be notorious for over-rating their speeds but I think they cleaned that up starting with the Drenalin. My Reezen at 29", 70lbs with 412grn arrows will do 305. I'd say you're getting a bad reading or something is off with that Monster 7.

What's the IBO on the M7, Timmy?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.