Marlin X7 shoots better than a Savage, Thats what Marlins says!

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by skull stacker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I just got this months Buckmaster Magizine last night, and one the inside front cover, Marlin has an add saying they tested their rifle against a Savage and the Marlin shot better. :rof2: I have a Savage and would almost spend the money to buy a Marlin and test them and prove it wrong. Now way a new Marlin would out shoot the Savage.:02:

2. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Nothing will outshoot a Salvage.

That being said, everything I've heard about how the Marlin's shoot has been very, very good. Most are pretty solid MOA shooters from what I've read.

3. skull stacker

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I looked at them and they look a lot like a Savage in the barrel department. Different action.

4. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i cant speak for marlin rifles but they sure as heck can make a .22 that will shoot!

5. The marlins shoot good, but take it from a guy who has shot plenty of both, they aint no savage.

6. skull stacker

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I have a savage weather warrior in 30/06. I don't shot it much it's my out west gun, but I have put a box of shells through it, and with a Burris scope it shoots a 1/2 inch group with store bought federal ammo. It doesn't get much better than that. I have a new Remington 700 XHR in 7mm-08 and it'll match that, but it is pretty picky on the ammo it likes.

7. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    [rquote=1863141&tid=129727&author=huntforfunnfood]i cant speak for marlin rifles but they sure as heck can make a .22 that will shoot! [/rquote]

I have a Savage 110 30-06 and a Marlin 795 .22 (that cost $100 on sale). I can shoot 7 to 9 shot penny sized groups at 50 yards with 22. At 100 yds with the .06, I'll be lucky to get a golf ball sized group.

8. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1863145&tid=129727&author=Chad]The marlins shoot good, but take it from a guy who has shot plenty of both, they aint no savage.[/rquote]

heck they are basicly a savage, what would make them shoot better is the quality of the barrel. who's to say Marlin is not specing their barrels to a tighter tolerance?

9. skull stacker

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1863177&tid=129727&author=JimH][rquote=1863145&tid=129727&author=Chad]The marlins shoot good, but take it from a guy who has shot plenty of both, they aint no savage.[/rquote]

heck they are basicly a savage, what would make them shoot better is the quality of the barrel. who's to say Marlin is not specing their barrels to a tighter tolerance? [/rquote]

I looked at them, they have the same barrel lock nut design as a savage which is where savages gets its accurance, from the head spacing. Could be they used all the good things from all the different rifles and have a cheap winning combo.

10. tobrien

tobrien Member

bought my son a marlin in 308 after a trigger adjustment
    it is a shooter,edge has no trigger adjustment out of the box
    and it is a heavy trigger

11. I never said theu didn't shoot good, cause they do.just not as good as the savage. And they are a copycat gun. Matter of fact thr action looks almost identical to a 788

12. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1863221&tid=129727&author=Chad]I never said theu didn't shoot good, cause they do.just not as good as the savage. And they are a copycat gun. Matter of fact thr action looks almost identical to a 788[/rquote]

BTW did you notice that barrel nut design on Reminton's new black rifle designed for the military (can't remember the model name). it allows the sniper to change barrels/calibers for a as needed basis. anyway lots of company's copied the mauser action so why not copy the savage barrel nut design if it works well and then improve anything else you can. :2thumbsup:

13. I agree. I wouldn't have a problem one with one of the new marlins. I'd take one of them over a lever gun, anyday. Matter of fact I'd take one over a stevens 200 or savage edge. Jusyt for the fact of the adjustable trigger, very reasonable price, and the fact that they shoot far better than minutye of deer.

14. Bolt gun I assume jimh? Hadn't heard of it, but sure sounds like a good idea. New barrel, and bolt and you could switch from 308 to 50 bmg. Ought to be handier than carrying two guns.

15. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    that would be the msr . i loaded some 243 rounds for a guy that bought a marlin and it shoots 1/4-1/2 in. at 100 yds not bad for a el cheapo gun

16. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    that remmy msr changes from 308 to 300 win mag to 338 lapua or 338 norma mag

17. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1864226&tid=129727&author=macon county boy]that remmy msr changes from 308 to 300 win mag to 338 lapua or 338 norma mag[/rquote]

i hear it changes your wallet from a money holder to a black hole too :cheers:
    there was a thread posted on it back last winter i beleive. very well designed platform if it performs like they advertise it to.

18. wolffire99

wolffire99 New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    My Marlin XL7 in 30.06 will shoot sub MOA all day long with the cheapest ammo you can find. Not bad for a rifle I bought NEW for $299.

[file]144011[/file]

19. Mo deer killah

Mo deer killah New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Those new Cheap Rifles sure are sweet! I had a Steven's M200 a long time ago in .270 win. Got rid of it because of the trigger and the 130 grain bullets didn't do so good on deer.
    Now I has a 30-06 Mosberg ATR in 20" barrel. It weighs no more than 6 lbs, its sweet for huntin deer in the woods. Light, compact and recoil is mild in that gun.

20. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1882546&tid=129727&author=Mo deer killah]Those new Cheap Rifles sure are sweet! I had a Steven's M200 a long time ago in .270 win. Got rid of it because of the trigger and the 130 grain bullets didn't do so good on deer. [/rquote]

you got to be kidding me right? there was this fellow a ways back that hunted with one of those 270's all over the place. a real nice Irish guy, Jack O'something along those lines. anyways he kilt dern near everything with one of those 270 thingys. heck if the 130 gr boolets wont kilt no deer then why am i sling those 100 gr .243's at them? but i will agree with one of your points, the affordable rifles out there these days sure do shoot well. even those pea shooting 270's. :grouphug: