Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first 22 back in 1977 at age 7. Shot ?????? bricks of 22 lr through this baby. Have completely dissambled and cleaned and reassembled. Still have fail to feed on a consistent basis. Haven't used it for several years and as we have such a knowledgable bunch on here, looking for ideas on how to fix.

This was my first 22 and would love to let my son get it as he's ready to move up now.

Thanks for any help.

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
What kind of ammo?

Mine did that a few years ago but I found the remingont brick stuff was really unreliable with the charge.

·
Registered
70,334 Posts
Quote: " Still have fail to feed on a consistent basis."

Are you saying that it only shoots single shot or is it just failing now and then?

I had one similar back then and I had used the "newest idea" in bullets when they came out. Someone developed a .22 LR that had wax on the bullet. If you ever used those in a auto or pump gun the was would scrape off the bullet when it was being fed into the chamber creating a glob of wax....but you said you have completely cleaned the rifle so that should not be a problem.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Not only make shure the feed ramp is super clean and dry. But make shure the staging area of the round coming out of the tub magazine is clean and dry.

When our Marlin tub fed rifles fail to feed most often its the stage area is cruddy.

On ocasion thouhg its the ammo it self. Some just seams to put more discarted powder in the action are then other brands, clogging everything up faster.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
does it always seem to happen at a certain round count from a full mag? if so maybe there's a obstruction in the magazine tube(slight kink?) that keeps it from feeding properly after so many rounds are shot and the spring isn't delivering the round into the action well after that? hey this is just a wild guess on my part.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,331 Posts
When this happened with the one I had, it was due to loose parts. The tubular magazine was attached to the bottom part of the front sight, and as that sight came loose from the barrel it messed up the spacing in the receiver. I hadn't noticed it getting loose, but one time after shooting I pointed the barrel down, and the front sight dropped onto the ground with the magazine still attached. I still remember the sound as the rest of the live rounds zinged out the bottom onto the ground. :D

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Many autos tend to hate 3 kinds of ammo
1. Pure lead - cycling through the action really mangles the bullet up.

2. Long cone shaped bullets like the 333, Federal milk carton I think, and Xpert. The bullets are so long they start getting hung up when cycling through the action.

3. Dirty cheap inconsistant ammo - most of this stuff isn't even worth buying just for accuracy issues alone (unless you're just messing around) but the autos really hate them.

Give it a good cleaning and try some good ammo like Mini-mags or Dynapoints --- I suspect the problems will pretty much go away.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have 3 model 60's and the problem usually is one of the following.....Poor ammunition will fire from a clean gun 90% of the time unless there is a really light round that doesnt give enough blow back to cycle the next round.

1. Dirty and needs cleaned
2. The main assembly is loose or sloppy...tighten the screws
3. Bad ejector spring...bend to proper place or replace
4. Missing E clips
5. Feed ramp needs polished (should be done while cleaning..usually jams with this issue tho

I have found it best to always disassemble the gun when cleaning , i do it with all my guns but its really important on auto's...
If you still need help feel free to give a holler and ill walk ya thru fixin it.......

·
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I've pretty much tried all but checking the ejector spring. Have shot virtually every type of ammo thorough it and the same problem every other shot. If I can get 2 shots in a row I've accomplished something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.