Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
82nd Airborne!
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrive at camp a.m. Fri. morning. My 2 buds were already camped and been huntin since wed. They said birds gobbling everywhere. I've never harvested a turkey so I was extremely excited, My friend JP said I'll take you out and see what happens, we slipped into the woods before day light listened and listened some more, did some soft calling, nothing. Decided to move a little and one flew of the roost. Could here turkeys everywhere of in the distance. So we moved slipping around. Finally came to a overlook hit the Ashby box, bam there he was. Ofcourse straight down and 800yds. We bailed off (big hills) and went after him. Got to the bottom my friend and guide did some soft calling, don't know where he went. So then he hits hawk call , bam to birds gobble on other ridge, He said lets go! We took off in an up hill climb we worked around in front of them, and setup. There close he said and they gobbled almost knocked my hat off, he moved me around tree and said breath easy, my heart was pounding hard. I'm ready, they gobbled right behind a little knob, and I'm thinking please peak over the top, they never did, what a great feeling without a harvest. That evening we roosted 3, located with hoot owl. The next morning my other friend TV said I'll take crappie, we'll get near those 3. He was right soon as sun started breaking gobble, gobble. There goes the heart again. Easy, Tv did some soft calls, they flew down, started gobbling, drumming, and some other noises I've never heard. Two were coming right toward us the other fell off hill toward hen clucking. Gobble, gobble get ready he said, I was ready. ( I hoped) They got within 30 or 40 yds. and carried on for ever. Did some soft purrs and clucks gobble, gobble. They finally went down off point the opposite we thought. We slipped down in front but they headed off up some steep hills. So we just setup on log road and soft called I told TV I think I see a deer crossing the creek, not a deer it was a bobcat slipping along, checking us out. Another great thing to see. There were alot of turkeys and they were smart old birds, the ones harvested were big bruisers. None of us harvested a bird but was a great time and hunt. We got rained out on sun. and came home. I think the world has another turkey hunter. (me) I'd like to thank my 2 buddys for dragging me along. And giving me another great hunting memory!!!!!

·
5,632 Posts
Sounds like a great couple days, Crappie!

·
Registered
70,512 Posts
Your day will come. Learn everything you can from your friends. Just being in the woods is a reward in itself. And seeing that bobcat.....not many of us have seen that sight for sure. Cherish the moments you have with Mother Nature.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Crappie, congratulations on becoming our newest turkey hunter.:dancin: Another thing to remember about turkey hunting is lots of states have good turkey hunting and tags aren't too expensive and you could plan a hunt in another state with your buddys.:D

Jack

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by Crappie
Had a big storm come through today, will that effect the toms?
Not at all.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast even though a bird didn't get in shooting range. And seeing a bobcat, that would of been :eek:.
Hope you get out next weekend. I will be trying it again. I have had no luck with the birds so far. My best place to hunt was a bust and can't afford to go back. So I will have to stay in town and try it again.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
It is a very addicting sport. I think I'm as hooked to it as I am deer hunting. I just wish the seasons were longer and Indiana had more birds !

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Originally posted by Crappie
Had a big storm come through today, will that effect the toms?
If the weather stays damp and rainy,,pay close attention to open areas (fields, pastures etc) for bird activity. That kind of weather makes em spend more time in the open.

:cheers::cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.