Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't hunt much as a kid and really got into it in my late 20's when my Dad took up a land lease with some of his buddies at work. About 5 years ago, we bought our own land in Elk Creek and took up hunting down there whenever we could. Turkey never crossed my mind until last year when a small group of Toms crossed my path. I never had a shot in range with my bow, but I was excited to learn more about them. This past winter I picked up a few diaphragm calls and watched a ton of videos to pre-game a bit. My buddy who is new to hunting was interested in going down with me, so we did for a couple days at the opening of the season. We had a couple gobblers responding but did not succeed.

Fast forward to this past weekend and I was able to get back out in the woods by myself. Heard some gobblers on Saturday and tried to sneak in close but got busted so I spent the afternoon fishing and hiking for mushrooms. Sunday I was determined. I setup a ground blind Saturday night on the edge of a field close to where I've always heard them roosting. I was disciplined with my calling this time and never second guessed my setup. I got my first response around 8am and by 9:20 he was dead. One of the most satisfying hunts of my life. I'm hooked.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,222 Posts
Congrats. Great hunt. 🦃

Reactions: TexasCountyMoHunter

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
That is awesome!! Well done, way to practice up and take to the birds! When the birds are gobbling there isn't nuch better times out in the woods, IMO!

·
Under appreciated
86,796 Posts
It’s a lot of fun when they work like that... congrats.

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
Congrats TexasCountyMoHunter! Turkey hunting is a good thing to get hooked on. Pun intended. (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts