Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Jenny's Lackey
47,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local quarry yesterday & had them load 2 ton of lime on my trailer. When I pulled onto the scale, he said, oops, got a little more than 2 ton. It was 3. Oh well, for $7 a ton, no big deal. Now the fun starts, I gotta get that spread & I'm gonna start today, with aid of my wife. (Wheres all these hunting buddies when there's work to be done :horse: ) I've got 7 different small plots that I can't get a truck too, all about 1/4 acre. The soil in my area is what the farmer calls white dirt. Pretty poor with low ph. Soil tests on some of the plots recomended 4000# per acre, so 3 ton should be pretty close.

I really do have a plan though, I built a gravity spreader that holds 250# at a time that mounts to the back of a small trailer. I've got twelve 5 gallon buckets. I'll pour while the little woman drives (I've been real nice to her lately, hopefully she won't dump me). I'll set up a trail cam on us & post pics tonight & give an update as to how well my new spreader works.

· Registered
1,776 Posts
I read this on another forum - don't know if it would work.

Borrow a high powered backpack leaf blower and ride on the trailer of lime and blow it off while someone pulls it around.

If you put on 3 ton per acre that's 50% more than the recommended amount of 4000 lbs.

· Registered
7,519 Posts
Pinwheel, sounds like a heck of a job but at least the wife is helping that great!
That's one of my pet peaves..everyone shows up or calls 3 days before hunting season but no where to be found when the fun is happening!!

A definite labor of love...enjoy the lime and the ticks, but no ticks with lyme..disease that is.

· Registered
18,763 Posts
If you were closer I'd give you a hand. At least for me this kind of work is alot more enjoyable when it's having to do with food plots.

· Jenny's Lackey
47,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics of the spreader I built

I've had these pics for a while, just haven't had time to post them. Even though this spreader didn't work very well the day I tried it, I really do think it will work with dry lime. The gate was made from a 3/8 piece of aluminum that my neighbor had, the slides that holds the gate are made from a piece of old truck bed rail. Perfect fit. The rubber flapper hanging below should allow me to set the gate a the right height, then when I need to stop spreading for a turn around, I can just lift the flapper & stop the flow of lime. I think this thing could also be used to spread fertilizer. I need to figure a way to put an agitator on it to keep shaking the lime down.

Just so you know how much of a junker I am, this thing didn't cost me one penny. Everything in it was laying around my shop. Just had to put it all together.

Attachments

· Registered
3,898 Posts
Randy, could you show some pics of how the rubber flapper and the gate regulate the flow of the lime? You are one creative dude!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.