Making new trot lines

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Ringer, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    I spent a lot of time and made a bunch of new trot line drop hooks and made a new system to conveniently hold everything I need while being tangle free. The 5 gallon bucket holds all the drop lines and main lines easily. All drop lines are rigged with swivels as well. Figured I'd share with you guys. If you have any questions you can pm me. Also, I'll attach a picture of my biggest gasconade river flathead of the summer. 40 lbs and that was after she spit up a drum she had swallowed that measured 16 inches half digested. We took some quick pictures and let her go. Overall we had a great summer on the river.

Attached Files:

Maddog3355 likes this.
  2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    She looks every bit of 40, we use a similar set up to hold hooks.

Ringer likes this.

3. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Nice fish! Congrats on the catch.

Our hook buckets are very similar too. We use the side of the bucket with notches though, and then a bucket lid gasket can be used to hold the hooks in place in case the buckst tips. Hooks easy in and out, no mess on a mess up tip.

Ringer likes this.
  4. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    How are you tieing the staging to your main line?

5. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    At the end of the drop lines I tie a loop in the end. Where I want to put the drop line I wrap the loop around the main line twice then put the hook through the loop then snug down tight. I have a couple main lines where I tied loops in the intervals I want the drop lines on the mainline and use the same method to attach to the main line. This just prevents the drop lines from sliding up and down the main line and tangling, which doesnt happen all that often but can.