Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a trolling motor has enough power to push a kayak upstream through rapids of a typical Ozark river such as the gasconade or big piney? I weigh 180 lbs and and would only be bringing a couple fishing poles and tackle box

· Part-time malcontent
8,464 Posts
You’re going to have trouble on a lot of riffles keeping the prop off the rocks and deep enough to avoid cavitation IMO. Are you mounting a regular TM or are you looking at a kayak with the motor integrated into the hull?

I sometimes paddle upstream and pull the boat through spots I can’t paddle through.

· Registered
1,908 Posts
Key is to ferry your way back and forth up parts of the stream very similar to switch backs up a mountain mountain.

· Registered
218 Posts
Probably a regular TM and I don't mind dragging occasionally just want to get upstream of where the jet boats can't go
Are you talking about the riffles made from gravel bars or the rapids made by huge rocks?

Either way, a trolling motor is not going to take a kayak through them. Can you put in above there and float down leaving your truck st the end?

Most bridges allow public access in Missouri. Good luck.

· Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,925 Posts
Some floating outfitters will ferry your vehicle for you. Last summer my brother and I paid like $20 or $30 for an outfitter to drive us up to the put in on the Courtois River, and then leave the truck back at the resort/take out. Worked like a charm.

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
Some floating outfitters will ferry your vehicle for you. Last summer my brother and I paid like $20 or $30 for an outfitter to drive us up to the put in on the Courtois River, and then leave the truck back at the resort/take out. Worked like a charm.
Thats what we used to do or the other way around... have someone run us back to our vehicles where we put in.
I prefer the way you said, have someone take you upstream with all your stuff. That way you are back to your vehicle, more comfortable that way.

· Part-time malcontent
8,464 Posts
You'd need a couple batteries and lots of thrust on the motor. Paying a small fee to be dropped in upstream (or staging a vehicle) may be a much better option.
I meant to mention this earlier as well. A battery stout enough to run a TM upstream for a fair distance is going to be difficult to deal with in a kayak. If you turn over, which is easy to do in a yak, you're going to have a big problem. Either the battery goes to the bottom, or weighs down the boat if you have it secured. If you're in a tough spot when this happens the battery is really going to complicate things.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
A trolling motor with a kayak sounds like too much hassle to make it enjoyable.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Kayaks aren't canoes. I've paddled upstream in current you wouldn't paddle a canoe up. They usually go pretty good. I'm talking about a sit in kayak and I think they're a bit more streamlined than the sit on fishing kayaks if that's what you're talking about. 'Course that was years ago too. I don't know if I could do it today.

On a kayak, a trolling motor and battery seem like a bad idea to me unless it's one designed to take a motor and battery....and I haven't seen one, not that one isn't available. Been a few years since I kayaked seriously.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
I don’t think a TM will work. The current will either be too strong or the water too shallow or both. Floating down is the best option. Second would be to wear waders and drag up the riffles then paddle the slack water.

If you ever want a hunting partner to do a bit of kayak hunting, hit me up. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a couple years. We can shuttle each other. I have a nice kayak and cheap canoe. The canoe can hold a ton of weight and I wouldn’t care if a dead, bloody animal made a mess of it.

· Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,925 Posts
Modern in SOT (Sit on Top) Kayaks are nothing like a canoe or sit in kayak. They are extremely stable and people use TM's all the time. Most most use trolling motors specifically designed for kayaks, and not your generic transom mount version.

That being said, I am not sure if it is a great approach for a shallow stream where you will frequently be in water to shallow to run the motor, these are set up for covering longer distances on lakes. It may work to use the TM where deep enough and then paddle/drag where really shallow. Eventually you will hit a spot where it'll to be too risky to try and go upstream by either method. I agree that flipping with a TM and battery isn't something I'd want to be a part of.

I've fished out of my kayak on the Meramec and Courtois and have paddle back upstream to re-fish a nice stretch and it isnt too bad. I also paddle back upstream a fairly long distance looking for a life jacket that fell off the back of my seat. It got old real fast.

· Registered
32,093 Posts
I've never been in a kayak but I have a little coleman crawdad plastic jon jon boat I got from timberdoodle many years ago. A small trolling motor has no problem pushing me upstream as long as the water is deep enough for the prop. When it isn't we just step out and pull.

1,533 Posts
Strong Rapids, no. Everything else yes. A trolling motor is very effective on a kayak. Especially the rivers like the gasconade with longer slower moving sections. Still have to drag your kayak at times but it will work.

Many different ways to attach a trolling motor dependent on your kayak. Some are set up perfectly, some may be a challenge. Many diy trolling motor for kayaks found online too. Just depends on what you want to do.

· Part-time malcontent
8,464 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.