Make your own turkey call.....it's easy.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Mailman, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Make your own turkey call.....it\'s easy.

Bear with me on this post. I have made a turkey call out of an old turtle shell I had found while deer hunting last fall. It was pretty stained up but I decided to try my hand at call making. I used an old piece of slate that was about 1/8" thick. I scored it with a utility knife to make it roughly fit the opening of the shell. For support on the opening of the shell for the fragile slate I used a piece of nylon plastic sheeting cut to 3"x1/2"x 1/8" thick in size and fitted on the lip of the shell on the inside of the opening. I epoxyed the nylon to the slate and then the entire piece of slate to the shell with a notch cut out of the shell for the nylon. I ground off the excess with the belt sander. Be very careful not to chip out the slate while grinding. SLOW is the word. I decided to leave the shell natural the way I found it. I made it look entirely different by using my buffing wheel on my grinder with some jewelers rouge. It polished up pretty well I think. The pictures really don't do it justice. It does have a pretty good sound if I say so myself. If anyone wants me to make them one.......forget it.

2. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

3. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  4. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  6. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  7. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Mailman looking very good!!:cheers::cheers::cheers: Should oughta call turkeys.

Jack

9. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Very nice Mailman---great work!
    Hope you get to call in a longbeard with it!
    :cheers::cheers:

10. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I made one like it last spring and dropped it in my driveway and broke it. Boy was I ticked. This time I'm packing it in my back pack.

11. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Looks great. Hope it gets the job done for you...................:cheers:

12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Here is a larger one that I am working on. I have painted this one a yellowish bone color. I'm still debating on what to finish it up with.

13. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  14. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Well Center Punch what I meant was that I only had two shells to work with and I plan on using both for myself. I guess that makes me stingy doesn't it. I think my 1st grade teacher wrote in my report card "Doesn't play well with others".

15. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    That looks great Mailman!!!