Make the call #3

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by hunter7x, Feb 23, 2006.

1. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    You have been working a bird all morning. It is now 11:30 am and he has gone quiet. You are in the middle of your property sitting on top of a ridge when suddenly on your right, a long beard appears to your right only 7 yards away.

What do you do?

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    7 yards you can do the right thing and let him not look and then pop him or just throw the gun up and blast at 7 yards you should have him dead before he knows what the heck is even going on

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Well if he came from the right, hes prolly going left.. :rotfl: so dont look, wait patiently, see if hell cross over in front of you, if all else fails, wait til he begins to walk off and pop him

4. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    sit still and what for an opportunity to get your gun up and drop him.....

5. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Freeze! There is nothing else to do. If he'd happen to turn and strut or something put the gun up left handed and off him. Otherwise. Don't move.

Wait for a better opportunity.

6. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Hope he goes into a strut and shoot him left handed when he comes out of it or in the real world let him walk and call softly when he is out of view and whack him as he returns fo a quickie!:behead:

7. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    At 7 yards, I'd just tackle him and kill him with my bare hands! lol

Nah, seriously, what DSG said.

8. I agree! I'd sit tight and wait to see what his next move is. Chances are he'll give you a better opportunity than just throwing up and taking a hasty shot.

At that range it would be easy to actually throw up and miss even w/ a shotgun. Your pattern would be like throwing a golf ball at him.

I hate to admit it but I've missed standing still gobblers at that range. :bangin:

9. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO

10. Good call that is the only thing to do in this situation unless he gets nervous and starts to leave or starts alarm putting and then try your luck with the quick draw if all else fails.

chad

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004

12. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    I missed the biggest gobbler i've ever seen at very close range. I would sit still,let him get out to 20 or 30 then shoot. Many times I have had to move a little on turkeys and if you pick your time and go slow it will sometimes work.

13. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Sit tight and not even blink and see what he does. Hopefully he would get in front of you and you can pull the trigger. Or once he goes behind a big tree or goes into strut swing the gun and see if he catches the movement. If he didn't ctach you, line up and shoot.

14. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I'm left handed so I would throw up my gun and bead on him before he knew what happened he would be floppin.:cheers:

15. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    sounds like fun all of them i would love to be in that position

16. timber_hippy77

timber_hippy77 New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Nodaway County
    First off I would have to swallow really hard, just to keep my heart down. Then I would try to wait and see what he is going too do. Hopefully pass by in front of me. If not, I would wait and let him walk away a little so when I try that quickshot, my pattern would have time to open a little. Then I would go hame and change my britches. :toilet: