Make the call #1

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by hunter7x, Feb 23, 2006.

1. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Stole this idea off another site :D

You are set up on the edge of some pines overlooking a hardwood bottom, at least 5 different gobblers sounding off. Along with the 5 gobblers, hens are going crazy. You have to compete with the hens, what do you do?

1) Sit tight and call aggressively?

2) Sit tight and call sparingly?

3) Go in after them?

4) Leave and come back later?

5) Other.....?

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    well if i have all morning to hunt i chose number 2 the hens will hopfully leave about 930-1000 keep the birds in site and wait it out take a few short naps and about 1000-1030 you wake up and blast one

3. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    When in doubt........#3. Can't win if you don't play. :cheers:

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Try to avoid the temptation of #3 and do #2

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Ditto.. :cheers:

6. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Man, I've been in this situation. I read one time to just call aggressively, mimmicking what the hens are doing. Every time they call, cut them off doing the same thing. I tried it and man, what an experience. It was probably the loudest morning of turkey hunting I've ever heard. It was awesome. Hens yelping, cackling and everything else. The toms gobbling at every sound. The hens got so mad, they came in to check us out......unfortunately the toms didn't follow:frown:.

Don't know if it was right or wrong, but it sure was fun. I'd have to try it again, so I'd say #1.

7. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    start off with #2......then I might try using some fighting purrs and some gobbles and make those birds think a big ol'party's going on and they dont wont to miss out. With anything you win some and you lose some but just being there is ALL the reward.

8. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    If i'm on private ground and assured no one else is hunting (but you can never really take that to the bank as you will see why) i will hit a gobble call and try to bring the hens to me and get one or more of the toms to come in looking for a scrap. it has worked well in those kinds of situations for me before. but be on the look out for calling in a hunter.

9. first #2 give some agressive cutting and maybe some fighting purrs and if the goblers dont respond to that the hens could get pissed off that i am taking up their sound space and or want to come c what the fuss is about and drag the gobbler n with them.

and if that doesnt work resort to #3

10. Passthru

Passthru Member

Aug 8, 2003
    #5 hang out and keep track of them, wait till the hens disperse and leave the gobblers alone, set up on the now lonesome gobblers and call to them.

11. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I would start of with some agressive calling, see what happens, I am trying to get the boss hen P.O. Then start in with some gobbler yelps mixed with some hen yelps and then some serious fightin purrs. My main objection when birds are henned up is to get the hen mad and coming in to straighten me out, big daddy will be right behind her. My disclaimer is, "When you involve a turkey, you just never know!" And when all else fails wait until later in the morning and it only gets easier as the hens leave..

12. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I've learned more about turkey hunting in 4 scenarios than in two years of hunting the darn things............Hmmm maybe that's why I taint never kilt one of them elusive little devils! All advice and/or tips are greatly appreciated. If I'm not eating wild turkey for mothers day dinner this year she's liable start thinking all I do is go on hunts, drink beer, have fun and enjoy life.....and MOMMA AINT HAVING THAT!:whip:

13. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I would call seriously for awhile, and then sit tight and see what the birds did. If they move off gobbling,,I would move closer to the origin of the activity and start calling every few minutes and wait them out.

:cheers::cheers:

14. In that situation I'd call aggresively.

I've done this several times just as Droptine has described and it works.:)

My second option would be: Providing I know the land well I would sit back and listen to the turkey talk and gobbling while trying to determine a route they might be taking. I would then try and circle the group and be setup in the route they might be traveling.

Knowing the lay of the land and general knowledge of the land would greatly increase your odds of knowing where they might be headed and why.

15. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I agree with most of the others. I'd call agressively trying to either bring in a satelite gobbler or tick off the boss hen. If the boss hen starts responding to me, I'm gonna cut her off and sass her so hopefully she will come running in to whoop my butt. If nothing pans out with that, I'm gonna sit tight for a little bit before I just jump up and attempt to get in front of the group because sometimes that satelite tom will be coming in but coming in silent. I'll cluck a little just to let him know where I am while waiting on him before i make my final decision to leave my spot.

I love it when I can tick off the boss hen. I did it one time and she came running in so hard that the toms either lost her or didnt care cause they had other hens. She was flat mad! I was sitting in a brush pile and she came up to about 6 yds away scolding me something bad. If I had a deke out, I'm sure she would have lit into it. I let her walk off and couldnt resist letting her have it again. She did a 180 and came right back to were she was before, then hopped up in a tree so she could look down into the brushpile I was in. She eyeballed me pretty good but never figured me out. That was one of those hunts where I didnt bring a bird home, but had just as much fun as if I had.

16. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    It is a lesson in calling in its self when you get mama hen mad, that can be more exciting than a gobbler gobblin all the way in! And always cut her off! That was some real good advise BP...

17. thanks for posting that it saved me from having to type so much.

chad:cheers:

18. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    I would try to get right in the middle of them.

19. turk2di

turk2di New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Western Ky
    You know my answers:D:cool: Im a gambler sometimes. I know that the aggravating the ole hen works, but i think on this hunt im gonna lay my gun down, rush in and bust them all off roost. This will level the playing field

20. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    With me it would depend on if they just came off the roost or if they had moved into the area well after the morning fly down.
    If they just flew down, I would do a few tree yelps, wait a few minutes, do a fly down cackle with wing noise. Do a few yelps and purrs and a timely gobble or two and see what happens. If they start to get closer I would switch to cuts followed by agressive cutting and may throw in a gobble.
    If it has been a few hours, I would start off with aggresive cutting followed by very agrresive cutting, followed by a timely gobble, then stick with the aggresive cutting.
    And if all else fails I would try and get ahead of them and cut them off.