Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Lowest in 10 Years

2K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  Hacienda Lamascota 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Who was closest on their predictions? Mine was 199,999.

#3 ·
I really think we are starting to overhunt our heard- To much pressure for to long of a time- On our property we are seeing less and less deer over the last 3-4 years- everyone I have talked too is experiancing the same thing- Cut the doe season next year- give our deer the chance to pop out some more fawns!

#4 ·
[rquote=1491891&tid=104215&author=jwgossage]I really think we are starting to overhunt our heard- To much pressure for to long of a time- On our property we are seeing less and less deer over the last 3-4 years- everyone I have talked too is experiancing the same thing- Cut the doe season next year- give our deer the chance to pop out some more fawns! [/rquote]Ditto maybe one day they will get a clue, just dont see the deer we used to.

#5 ·
well what did all the deer guys expect when you have had open slaughter for so many years. goal was to thin out the heard, well it's done thinned.

#9 ·
I'd reckon corn in the fields in N MO had a big impact on the kill as well, not to mention a lot of rain early in the week.....:thinking:

#10 ·
Deer sighting during the rifle season in my area was down as well. We had more corn left in the field last year, then we did this year so I expected the sightings to be up. But I heard that the western part of the county was seeing several deer. Maybe they just all headed west.

#12 ·
[rquote=1491956&tid=104215&author=stinkpickle][rquote=1491924&tid=104215&author=DanF]One down year and we're over hunting?...[/rquote]

Exactly. With this year's weather and standing crops, I won't yet say there's been a significant population reduction.[/rquote]

x1
The entire first week was full of miserable weather. Opening morning was the only good weather. I'd bet it kept most of the rifle heroes out of the stands. And they account for the majority of the harvest.

#14 ·
It's hard to compare the gun season of today to the gun season 10 years ago. We didn't have the youth season, urban season or antlerless seasons 10 years ago. I am sure when it is all said and done, there will be more deer killed TOTAL this year than 10 years ago. There have already been nearly 10,000 does killed during this first weekend of antlerless season. We really can't compare apples to oranges in this case.

I will agree that the weather and the standing corn made this years regular firearms season more difficult than the past years.

:cheers:

#15 ·
[rquote=1491997&tid=104215&author=20 feet high]still had great weather that first day and that is when the most are killed. The kill isn't down that much, so we probably don't need to overreact, but MDC could seriouly reconsider the timing length of the doe season. JMO[/rquote]

I can agree with that. I know a lot of people this year that were intentionally passing on does during the regular firearm season because they had an additional 10 days after the regular season to harvest does. Just that mentality alone is going skew the regular firearm season's harvest numbers.

Ten days to harvest a doe immediately after the regular firearm season is a little too much in my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing it changed back to the original 4 day season; or if the APR's are truly doing what they are suppose to, they can just do away with the anterless season all together.

:cheers:

#16 ·
[rquote=1491931&tid=104215&author=callaojoe]I'd reckon corn in the fields in N MO had a big impact on the kill as well...[/rquote]

It certainly hampered the hunting at my buddy's place in eastern Jackson Co. The field behind his place is usually cut by Nov. 1st, but this year they didn't cut it until this past Saturday. It was beans last year, so I don't remember when they cut it, but this year, with the corn, our usual plan to sit the west tree line to catch them coming from the east tree line was totally wiped out...:mad2:

#17 ·
Me and several others hunt on a property in ralls county (Northeast) and the crops in the field + the rain definetely hampered down on deer sightings for most of us along with several others in the area. Normally, we take 8-12 deer total between us and most of them are does. This year, we took 3 bucks and a button buck so it was a weird season. Fortunetely for me, the field nearby my stand was still in soybeans so I had a lot of opportunites when they would come out to feed at around 5pm so my freezer is restocked with buck meat.

Those on our property who didn't see much were those who were hunting near the corn fields.

#20 ·
Comparison........

Hunter on rural hunting property: Hunted 6 days straight and saw two deer...no legal bucks but took a button for the freezer. Used my Anterless tag and ate my Any Deer tag. Numbers are not what they used to be IMO.

Non Hunter living in the suburbs of KC: To and from work every day this week I see anywhere from 10 to 20 deer standing in fields or laying alongside the road. There are way to many deer here in Missouri. The MDC should allow more does to be taken during gun season.

#21 ·
[rquote=1492024&tid=104215&author=BioBuck][rquote=1491997&tid=104215&author=20 feet high]still had great weather that first day and that is when the most are killed. The kill isn't down that much, so we probably don't need to overreact, but MDC could seriouly reconsider the timing length of the doe season. JMO[/rquote]

I can agree with that. I know a lot of people this year that were intentionally passing on does during the regular firearm season because they had an additional 10 days after the regular season to harvest does. Just that mentality alone is going skew the regular firearm season's harvest numbers.

Ten days to harvest a doe immediately after the regular firearm season is a little too much in my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing it changed back to the original 4 day season; or if the APR's are truly doing what they are suppose to, they can just do away with the anterless season all together.

:cheers:[/rquote]

definitely don't mean to be picky but the doe season is 12 days long.

#24 ·
[rquote=1492124&tid=104215&author=20 feet high][rquote=1492024&tid=104215&author=BioBuck][rquote=1491997&tid=104215&author=20 feet high]still had great weather that first day and that is when the most are killed. The kill isn't down that much, so we probably don't need to overreact, but MDC could seriouly reconsider the timing length of the doe season. JMO[/rquote]

:cheers:[/rquote]

definitely don't mean to be picky but the doe season is 12 days long.[/rquote]

Man, I thought 10 days was long, 12 days is WWWWAAAAAYYYYYYY too long :whiteflag:

#25 ·
[rquote=1492179&tid=104215&author=ltp]Proof is in the numbers. Some counties were still around their average harvest numbers but some were way down.

I didnt study all of them but Macon county was down over a 1000 kills compared to last year. Thats is a bunch! [/rquote]

But it's hard to know the true numbers when deer are still being killed with rifles as we type this. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.