Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this upcoming deer season will be my first time hunting and I was shocked to see the price of camo. I figure that I can't be the only one here not wanting to spend $150 on a jacket.
I'd like to buy local, but am not opposed to buying on the net.
I live in Lee's Summit and the Wal-Mart doesn't have much in the way of hunting attire. Anyone know of other Wal-Mart's with better selection? or better yet, a small local shop?
Thanks
ACES

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,533 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy clothes you can layer instead of spending your budget on one expensive coat. Your under clothes don't need to be camo. I bought some new stuff this spring for turkey season. Pants, $25 shirt (great for early season) $20 + hednet. $60 & I'm set for early season. I bought these in large enough size to add clothes under them as it gets cooler. A good set of long johns & sweat pants & sweat shirt will keep you pretty warm through gun season. Last fall, I did break down & spent $100 on a good coat though. Wore that & my black carhart bibs in the late season & stayed as snug as a bug in a rug. I don't have to wear expensive stuff to kill deer.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
second third and forth what pin wheel said. you don't need to spend tons. i spend more than i should lately just cause i have a little extra from time to time but for many years i hunted with 20 dollar pants and shirts and had deer i dang near could hit with a bat.
the key is washing them in scent free soap and spraying down before you go and when you get in the woods and packing them in a scent tight contaire.
you do that and your just fine. believe it or not your camo don't even have to match :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
yup, yup , yup.

Truth be told...if you are hunting from a tree stand you don't even need camo. It can help at times but If you wear muted colors/patterns practice scent control, are quiet and don't move around a lot you will be OK.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I still use military camo. You can pick them up real cheap. In my opinion, you only need green for the first few weeks and then everything turns brown. That is when it starts getting cold enough for warmer clothing. I use brown camo untill its coverall time.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Originally posted by rooster-tail
I still use military camo. You can pick them up real cheap. In my opinion, you only need green for the first few weeks and then everything turns brown. That is when it starts getting cold enough for warmer clothing. I use brown camo untill its coverall time.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
My thoughts exactly..find a good ole army surplus store.
I bought a goose-down mummuy sleeping bag at one for $30 a few years ago, and I love it. It smells like mold, just hold your nose till ya fall asleep:D

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
eBay!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I'm not one to spend a ton of $ on camo either and I've never had a problem. I have spent a couple of hundred on good insulated bibs and a good coat for cold weather but other than that my camo is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
your not that far off, a trip to cabelas bargain cave and you should be set. i get my camo there or the outlet at bass pro. used to watch clearance at wal-mart but my wal-mart has not more guns so no more of my hunting dollars.

·
Registered
835 Posts
(Gun or Bow hunting?) During gun season, somedays I hunt in my insulated brown Carhardtt coveralls. Specially on days where we do farm work during the day, and I zip straight to my stand for the late afternoon hunt. I have a nylon camo skirt that goes around my 2-man tree stand that keeps me pretty concealed. Also, keep in mind that you will be wearing a blaze orange hat and vest. On warm days, I have a Walls blaze orange hooded sweatshirt that I wear. In my opinion, keep it simple your first year, start buying a little camo hear and there, and over time you will build up a good sized collection.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Everyone. Your responses have been very helpful.
I like the basspro option, the bargain cave and the army surplus.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Dark earth tone clothes. Sit still and scent free. You've already got them, don't spend more money.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
:rotfl: Rebel don't need no money.....Heck, he's already retired :rotfl:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I get my underlayers in camo from the basspro online bargain cave. Like 5 bucks for a long sleeve tee. Depending on the sizes you wear.....check out cheaperthandirt.com too. I never find anything in BIG BOY for me though.

I don't spend money on top dollar stuff like that except for quiet rain gear. Let us know what you find!

Hit Wally World in January of this coming year for some GOOD deals.

Parker

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.