Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel like Ive been kicked in the nutz. Found out today that I lost permission on my Kansas spot that I've hunted for 31 years. Met Stan 31 turkey seasons ago trying to put out a fire in his hay field, pulled over and helped him out. Got to talking afterward that I was over that way chasing birds and he said he had a ton of them and I was welcome anytime. From that day on his family treated me like family. Through the years I always came out first week of the season and took him and one of his boys out for there first turkeys. In the beginning I always either drove back and forth or grabbed a hotel but by about the 6th year I was staying in one of the houses on another nearby property. When they ended up selling that place they moved me into a travel trailer they had or I just camped in a tent. At least one night while there we'd have a big fish fry or some big dinner around the campfire, good times. During that time they would never take a dime for anything and normally would have a little gift for you when ya got there. A couple three years ago Stan fell and had a brain injury so they turned everything over to the boy to run. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that season but his boy turned out to be as gractious as his daddy. The cookouts just moved over to his house. Sent his boy a text about 3 days ago about this season and wanted to let him know we were going to bring ribeyes for cookout night. Hadn't heard anything til today when his mom called and left a message that she had taken it over again and put it up for sale. If it wasn't sold by turkey season I could hunt but she was charging me to do it. Just kinda took the wind out of my sails today. I've turkey hunted a lot of different ground over the last 45 years and this was the BEST turkey and mushroom hunting I've ever seen.

· Registered
70,871 Posts
Your story is similar to when I was married to my first wife. For 25 years I hunted and fished her Dads farm until I filed for Divorce. I moved on to buy my own place a few years later.

· Registered
6,032 Posts
The only sure way to not lose a spot is to own it. I had a place that i hunted for nearly 20 years. I sensed problems when the owner sold off a small worthless to me area of the farm. I took 3 p&y bucks off the farm and it hurt to see the change coming. The new owners of the worthless piece logged and fenced their piece and hunted what they disnt own. I just moved on and bought my own piece.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I would set down with the Lady. Her actions may be brought on by ncessity. I have had 2 similar situations over the years. Both times my landowner friends were doing what they had to , to get by. They hated taking my money much worse than I did giving it to them.02

5,654 Posts
Man that sucks!!! I develop strong emotional ties to ground. Makes me tear up reading this. For me nothing in life on this earth is better than family/ friends/ and hunting. Every time I head into the woods its like seeing an old familiar friend again. Good luck and maybe whoever buys it will let you hunt it again.
SAY YOUR PRAYERS!

907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will definitely be hunting the place atleast acouple days for sure, unless it sells. Knowing more than I'd like to about there financial situation my guess is they might need to sell it. And I'm also guessing that the son doesn't want to because his son loves to hunt. The last couple years I really havn't actually hunted that much, go more to be camp b!tch and for the cookout night. I'll go out with my friends, 1 has hunted with me since the beginning and the other for 15 years and watch them whack acouple birds. trust me I still enjoy the experience just don't really care if I pull the trigger or not. I wish I could buy it but 700,000 is alittle out of my budget. When I talk to her some more and figure out what she is wanting to do exactly. If it makes sense I will send out some PM's to people who might be interested in hunting there. I don't want her to get overrun with people. I know she has her hands full right now. My post never was about having to pay this year, I would have done it for years. It was about losing a big part of me over the years.
Just going to have to see if she is going to charge me by the mushroom or the pound:)

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
Open up some dialog with her and see where she is with things. The problem with hunting someone elses ground is you know at some point it will dry up for whatever reason.
Sounds like you had a nice run there. Tuck the memories away in your pocket and move on.

15,023 Posts
I guy I worked with in North Carolina had some land up by Madison, when I moved here he said I could hunt but it was up for sale. When it sold, he told the new buyer about me and the new guy let me bow hunt on it for a couple years. New buyer just quail hunted and trained his quail dogs. I got "the" call one evening and he leased out the deer hunting to a couple guys. He said they offered more then he figured I could afford...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.