Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
69,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down this morning before all this yucky drizzle started to do some muzzle loader shooting. I had taken off my scope of my muzzle loader and put it back on. I decided I had better make sure it is shooting where I put that little + on the target.

I had remembered someone asked the question whether or not the pellets by volume shot the same as the same measurement of loose powder. After I got the rifle sighted in I got out my box of Hodgdon Triple Se7en 50/50 pellets. I shot three shots first with my sighted in rounds using loose powder and then three shots using the pellets of the same weight by volume.

All shots were fired from 100 yards of the target using a bench with sandbags.

On the first one I used a Hornady 300 gr. XTP MAG with 100 grs of Hodgdon Triple Se7en loose powder on the first target. The three shot group measured 2 1/2 inches and were close to the same level on the target left to right and 1/2 inch low from point of aim which was dead center of the bulls eye.

On the second one I used the same bullet and sabot but used two 50 grain pellets of Hodgdon Triple Se7en pre formed pellets which equals to 100 grains by volume. (It says so on the box.) The three shots were from 1 1/2 inch to 3 3/4 inches below the point of aim.

This proves that the pellets do not have the same power as does the loose powder and IMO not quiet the accuracy. That 3 3/4 inch drop could possibly miss a deer if you think you can substitute pellets for loose powder in a pinch.

[file]82988[/file]

[file]82986[/file]

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
I really appreciate you showing this. It confirms with me what I already suspected, without ever shooting loose powder before. :cheers:

Parker

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by Parker]

·
Registered
69,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Rifle...

Knight KRB7 50 Cal. Stainless with wooden laminated stock. Rolling Block.

[file]83004[/file]

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:cheers: Now I see you shot 100 gr. of loose too. I see its typed on your target.

Have you played with different loose gr. amounts? I know Clansey plays with his, and gets different results.

Parker

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by Parker]

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,923 Posts
That's quite a difference.

·
Registered
69,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[rquote=1501116&tid=104755&author=Mailman]

On the first one I used a Hornady 300 gr. XTP MAG with 100 grs of Hodgdon Triple Se7en loose powder on the first target.

On the second one I used the same bullet and sabot but used two 50 grain pellets of Hodgdon Triple Se7en pre formed pellets which equals to 100 grains by volume. (It says so on the box.)

[/rquote]

Says so right here Mr. Parker.....

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Wonder how the burn rates compare?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1501140&tid=104755&author=Mailman][rquote=1501116&tid=104755&author=Mailman]

On the first one I used a Hornady 300 gr. XTP MAG with 100 grs of Hodgdon Triple Se7en loose powder on the first target.

On the second one I used the same bullet and sabot but used two 50 grain pellets of Hodgdon Triple Se7en pre formed pellets which equals to 100 grains by volume. (It says so on the box.)

[/rquote]

Says so right here Mr. Parker.....[/rquote]

:D My eyes are gettin' all buggy on me with it getting so late. :eek:

Parker

·
Registered
69,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1501129&tid=104755&author=Parker]

Have you played with different loose gr. amounts?

Parker

[/rquote]

Not this time but when I find another box of Hornady 300 gr XTP MAG I will definitely try different loads of powder.

·
Registered
69,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1501183&tid=104755&author=Underclocked]MM, next time try the pellets against 90 grains of loose. So long as you're doing these tests. :D Was there a cross wind?[/rquote]

Yes there was a cross wind.

Are you saying to use 90 grains of loose powder and compare them to a grouping from two 50 gr. pellets? If so...that would probably get the two to hit the same on the target but that wasn't my intentions in my test. My test was to answer a question some one had whether or not you can substitute two 50 gr pellets in place of a load of 100 gr by volume of loose powder. I did my test and found that NO they will not hit the same on the target. Apples to Apples.

·
19,117 Posts
yup thats about right:cheers::cheers: pellets are a scam:D:D

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
What I think UC was sayin is the binder in the 2 pellets actually make it @90grs of actual powder so you should use 90grs of loose in comparison or it's not really comparing apples to apples. :D

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
pellets way to expensive for me:D

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
[rquote=1501226&tid=104755&author=coyotehunter]pellets way to expensive for me:D[/rquote]
I use loose in the white but buy a pack of them little tubes every year to have on hand JIC someone else might use my knight.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
ML novice here but with all the talk about how often you have to clean your ML would this being the 4th, 5th and 6th shots have made a difference?

·
19,117 Posts
[rquote=1501271&tid=104755&author=DWD][rquote=1501226&tid=104755&author=coyotehunter]pellets way to expensive for me:D[/rquote]
I use loose in the white but buy a pack of them little tubes every year to have on hand JIC someone else might use my knight. [/rquote] if you buy a pack every year for JIC situations, you must have alot of JIC hunters show up looking for a muzzleloader, OR a bunch of JIC boxes of pellets lying around:D:D:D

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by yankee]

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
[rquote=1501282&tid=104755&author=yankee][rquote=1501271&tid=104755&author=DWD][rquote=1501226&tid=104755&author=coyotehunter]pellets way to expensive for me:D[/rquote]
I use loose in the white but buy a pack of them little tubes every year to have on hand JIC someone else might use my knight. [/rquote] if you buy a pack every year for JIC situations, you must have alot of JIC hunters show up looking for a muzzleloader, OR a bunch of JIC boxes of pellets lying around:D:D:D

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by yankee][/rquote]
They are all over the house in MO, I keep finding them here and there as I'm packin stuff for the auction house, been tossin them in the trash then the kid will get a little excitement when she burns next time. :hysterical:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Great post MM. I never cared for the pellets because you cant adjust your load. For example with my encore 209x50. I started out shooting 100gr loose 777 and it shot a 3" group at 100yrds with 240gr. xtps and harvester sabots. I dropped it to 90grs. of loose 777 and it brought the group down to an inch. I have shot the same load with that rifle ever since. You cant do that with pellets!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts