Looks like season is tanking...

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by htredneck, Nov 7, 2010.

1. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Went in with group of guys up by Maryville. Four properties, almost 3000 total acres. GUranteed to be all 'locked up tight'. Charter a hunt club, lay down rules, whole nine yards. Five main people - son-in-law of one property owner, and four of us. Help build and outfit cabin, put up and move stands, put out-move-change batteries in cameras, whole nine yards.

Charter papers come out - son-in-law, owner and other family are only charter members. Also happen to be only ones to hunt best property (one with cabin). Rules are completely different than what we agreed to. Money is completely different, whole nine yards.

Called yesterday - 'lost' one property because cows get out. Old poorly built fences, owner blames us for cows getting out. Even though no one is there or hunting, gates were open so it is our fault - property is gone.

Called this afternoon - 'lost' another property because owner's kids are throwing fits about other people hunting their deer. Told to come get stands today or they are gone. I guess they are gone cause no one could go.

Leaves one flat, bare 320 acre cut bean field for total of 12 guys to hunt. When asked what DAY I wanted for muzzleloader, I blew a fuse. I am sorely tempted to go get my stuff back - including the lumber I put into the cabin - one day this week. Son-in-law and daddy-in-law (owner) won't answer phones for any of us.

I know there is an extremely hot place reserved for people like this, but I am so LIVID right now I am tempted to make a two hour drive. You can bet before it is over, I will be having conversations with other three property owners. What a crock...

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Man what a raw deal. I assume you didn't know any of these people before hand? Do you have anything in writing to protect rights? Has any money changed hands outside of the cost of materials on that cabin? 1 more thing...those stands belong to you and if you are being thrown off the place at the very least they have no right to steal them from you.

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Sorry man sounds like no good way out

4. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I'm sure you read Contract before signing,if you didn't maybe you should have.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin just trust them too.

5. Dalton

Dalton Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Warren County
    This is why I will never go into land acquisition with other people. Some friction is bound to happen. I feel for ya man! :mad2:

6. citybowhunter

citybowhunter Senior Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    :mad2: Sorry to hear this. I hope you have better luck with your next attempt.

7. htredneck

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    The ones I know got burned like I did. The stands supposedly belong to son-in-law. I have one ground and one climber and they are here with me. I am out the lumber, labor, time and sweat. I had the lumber from other projects, etc. I built well over a quarter of the cabin. It is basically a big, well insulated shed with 6 bunks, propane ehat, window air, etc. A weather-proof place to crash, cook and what have you. I am really tempted to go wrap a chain around it and lock the truck in 4 Low. I won't do it, but I will make it known around Maryville what took place. It is a small town and I am there enough to know where to have louder-than-normal conversations. Like I said, I will be going to see the other landowners and show them, let them know what really took place. I know how MOST farmers feel about things and this don't fit.

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Whoa...a "crock" is right. *speechless*

9. a_ridgway

a_ridgway New Member

May 3, 2010
    Never go into deals with strangers and maybe you should not bite off more than you can chew. If you have the money to go into all that land with others maybe you should have not got greedy and try a smaller piece that only you can hunt

10. htredneck

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Bow_Junky - Climb off. You might make it a point to find out more information before making comments about getting greedy and biting off more than you can chew.

This was started as strictly a hunting-only lease with four people splitting the cost of one section of land. It was going to be 1.00/acre/person, starting the second year. First year hunting rights were paid working our butts off for the farmer. It supposedly grew to include other three land-owners because they saw what we did for the first one. We tried to do things right and got shafted by yuppie son-in-law of first farmer who put himself in the mix.

11. a_ridgway

a_ridgway New Member

May 3, 2010
    Still that's $3000 that on average would have locked up around 300 acres of private hunting. If you put all that sweat equity in to hunt the first farmers ground then I would level off every dam deer just for spite and be darned if some yuppy son in law run me off. My initial statement about getting greedy stems from that i guarentee your judgement got clouded when the possibility of 3000 acres came on the table

12. htredneck

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Oh no, just the opposite - in fact I demanded they open it up to other people. I agreed to the cabin only because I was tired of what seemed like keeping the hotels in business. I know good and well four or five people cannot hunt that much ground and I refuse to pay that much to shoot a deer in Missouri, or any where else. I made them spread it out/split it up. All I wanted was a safe place to hunt around Maryville since I spend so much time there.

13. hollercaller

hollercaller New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Didn't have these issues before deer hunting became a business and the almighty antler became holy. Hate that for you man, hope you can salvage something out of the season...

14. Stud Hunter

Stud Hunter Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Blue Springs, Mo
  15. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Yea that stinks bad. Hard to come up with a resonable lease anymore. When it first started you could get with a farmer and lease ground for the entire year, park a camper, bring 4 wheeler etc.

Now everyone is after the almighty dollar, and land is bought up then subleased into 1 week sections for each season. And the price is getting outrageous. Best way to do it, is to buy your own...if I only had the money. The bank has got plenty, but 20% down is tough to swallow.