Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
How was the breech plug screwed out of that mess or was it out already?

Reactions: WBF

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Someone gots some splainin to do.....

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
A buddy just had a similar mess. He said the results from plugging the barrel and soaking it in straight white vinegar was amazing.

Reactions: EZRA

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
White vinager haha who woulda thunk it! I'm gonna try this and get him back in business! Thanks

·
8,816 Posts
There was a post about Yankee's rifle being loaded after he passed. They used some .54 cal lead balls coated with lapping compound and tapped from breech to end of barrel to clean out the barrel. Might try to find that and give a try.

As Most of you know Yankee passed away in December. While speaking with his widow this spring she asked me to check his muzzleloader and see if it needed to be cleaned. I took it home and it was rusted shut (TC Encore). I have been putting oil down the muzzle and on the area where it opens about once a week with no luck. So yesterday I took it to the local gun shop and they were able to get it open. Turns out not only was it rusty, it was still loaded from the 2016 season, (that is when he got sick). So when I got home I pulled the breach plug, thank god he was anal about anti-seize, and looked down the barrel and it was TERRIBLE with rust. My heart sank. So I went to scrubbing, I started with boiling water, then a brass brush. it got better but still was pretty bad. That's when I remembered a trick he showed me one time. I took some .54 caliber round balls and coated them with valve lapping compound and hammered them 1 at a time down the barrel. each one came out a little less rusty than the one prior. After 7 compound coated balls I decided to clean it again and see where I was. It looks like NEW in the barrel! I gave it a good oiling and and called his widow to give her the good news, she then asked through tears if my 14yo son would use it this year on his youth hunt on their property, he of course will be honored do so. So this weekend we will be hitting the range to make sure it is still zeroed.

Even from the grave Yankee's advice saved another muzzleloader, this time it just happened to be his.

When the season is over it will get a major cleaning and oiling and be placed in his safe waiting for his grandson to get old enough to use it, His widow has asked me to teach their grandson how to use it when the time comes, Yankee taught me everything I know about MLs and I can't wait to pass it on.

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did what I could and he hunted with it and I plan on helping him lap the barrel with the 54 cal balls and then I will post some pics, the is for the tips guys!

·
Registered
69,811 Posts
Well I did what I could and he hunted with it and I plan on helping him lap the barrel with the 54 cal balls and then I will post some pics, the is for the tips guys!
You say he hunted with it....so that means you shot it? How did it pattern?

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We got it shooting inch groups at a hundred with a makeshift benchrest and was happy with it, should be better after lapping the barrel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts