Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Chariton County but am currently at college in Maryville now. I'm really bummed b/c I love to bow hunt but don't have anywhere to go, and even I did, I wouldn't have anywhere to hang deer, etc. I am curious though if anyone knows any good places to hunt in the area.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, got to try and stay local. I've just never hunted public land before and am worried about having a stand stolen. Guess I've been spoiled by hunting private land and am just paranoid now.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Originally posted by killzone
Yeah, got to try and stay local. I've just never hunted public land before and am worried about having a stand stolen. Guess I've been spoiled by hunting private land and am just paranoid now.
I have bow hunted public land all over the state for 15 years and have never had a stand stolen. That being said I have a couple of old ones that I save just for public land. If they dissapeared i wouldnt be dissapointed. Dont be afraid to hunt the public land I have seen some awsome deer in those places.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
no. But only because I have inlaws that have property in Holt and Nodaway county. So I have private lant to hunt there. There are a lot of big deer in those countys. I knew a guy that hunted some public land in Holt wich isnt too far from Maryville I will have to ask him where it was and get back with you.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,331 Posts
I've never had a stand stolen on public land, and I thought it was because I used a cable-lock to fasten them to the tree. I used the same setup on private land, and a trespasser cut my lock and then took the stand and the cable. :mad::mad2: It can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
There are a lot of Conservation areas in Northwest Mo. Check out the Atlas http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaList.aspx?txtUserID=guest&txtAreaNm=s and take a ride to a couple of them. When I used to hunt public ground, I would drag a homemade ladder stand and get it placed. Back then I could go to new subdivision that was going in and ask for wood they couldn't use. Now days they use all the wood. I used to make a stand for around $10 bucks. The strap and hardware is what used to cost me.
Good luck! There are some fine places out there to hunt. I really used to like Reform located in Callaway county.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My real problem is going to be finding a place to hang a deer if I take one, also, transport could be difficult in my car, but I'm pretty sure that I could find a buddy from here at school w/ a truck.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Originally posted by r2ahunter
Hey Killzone, try to hook up with some of the local farm boys or girls in the area. maybe you could get both;)
please tell me you meant a hunting spot and a girlfriend and not a boyfri.... I`ll just stop right there :hysterical:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.