Registered
21,280 Posts
209 primers are allowed in Colorado

No Scopes
No Sabots
No Smokeless
No Pellets
50cal minimum for elk and 54cal is using patched round ball

Forget Traditions. They are bottom of the barrel MLs. A CVA Optima V2 50cal is under $300 and will do all you ask inside of 150 yards. You can buy it with sights or scope base for about the same price at https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brands/cva-muzzleloaders/cva-optima-muzzleloaders

Come on over to the MML forum if you want the best ML info and less juvenile sexual responses to your questions. We got a bunch of PACNW restricted hunters that are actively posting. Tons of info on sabotless options from guys that actually hunt and shoot. Not just BS not stop all day.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/
I'm not sure I even want to know what most guys on there think of the TC Encore and don't even know what ml's TC makes these days. I bought my Encore ML a whole lot of years ago and hoped to some day elk hunt with it. So far my only elk hunting has been with a bow. I did archery elk hunt during a muzzleloader season one year though. Good luck Maddux.

Reactions: Maddux

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
T/C had 1 big issue. The QLA is often cut off center to the bore. That makes shooting full bore bullets a problem. Its also rather deep compared to others like CVA. The big plus is you can buy many upgrades for the Encore platform including some great muzzleloader barrels.

MGM and Bullberry both sell some very nice aftermarket ML barrels for Encores. You can even buy a smokeless 45cal barrel for them or convert a 45/70 barrel to a smokeless barrel. Most states that offer elk hunts though dont allow smokeless and many require 50cal.

My advice for T/C is just buy the Encore frame. Then go to HausOfArms/MGM or Bullberry and get a good barrel for it. If you see a old stock Bergara ML barrel for the Encore, grab it. They are often cheap and very nice for the money.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts