Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSG's decided after going through all the calls and dryin them out after yesterdays THUNDERSTORM hunt that he needs all new friction calls before next year.

The old Ashby's need put on the shelf as collectors items.

So, say I'm gonna pack a coupla new friction calls next year. What's the membership suggest they be?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I sure wish I had some old Ashby calls.....my bro in law has 2 Ashby push buttons....good stuff there!

I'm going to guess you'll get several suggestions on Parker's, and Poor Valley's calls!!! I like my Primos Aluminum call, with a custom walnut striker....

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got two of the small Ashby slates fireman. They are sweet. Since I have two boys I guess that works out well. If I have another........guess I'm just gonna have to hit ebay! :D

Thanks for your suggestions. I found one today when I was packin up dat I forgot I had. It said "triple threat" on the bottom of it. Sounded like crap on each of the three segments no matter what I did. :( Dont' know who made it.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
And by the way....what the heck are ya gonna do wit slate calls....you don't use a turkey vest to carry all dat stuff in.....lol.....

Those boys oughta like dem Ashby slates.....Maybe a little shadow box, with the call, maybe a beard and spurs and a feather from thier first turkey!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I wouldn't get what Whitemarsh has...it apparently is only good to call in Foxes. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously though...my next call that I will get will be one of Parker's! I think it will go nicely with my "Lesbian Decoys"! :hysterical:

·
Original Cafe'Member
1,723 Posts
MAD has a Dual Mini Slate and Aluminum, ( THE calls fit face to face for a cover,
It just has some kinda Mhz they like.....:sniper:$15 on closeout at Sports Authority.

:wink4:

Leaving in the am for unturkville, hope'n it's one of those days.:D

"Gobbler or Bust!"

·
5,632 Posts
I sure like the sounds of the PV double sided slate. It's on my wish list for next year.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
(beginners question) What about "The Freak" style calls. The ones that you can strap to your leg to free up a hand. No one mentions them, or any sort of holder to fit other friction calls.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Snowman, the so-called Freak call is just a gimmick to me. Most of us that use friction calls like to have the use of both hands to be able to point them in a direction and for better sound control. If you can't use a mouth call and want a one hand operating call there are a number of push-pull calls that work very well for close in work. If that Tom is on his way I shut up. Turkeys have an amazing ability to pinpoint exactly where a sound is coming from and you for sure don't want them looking at your hiding spot..

Jack

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr Turkeys have an amazing ability to pinpoint exactly where a sound is coming from and you for sure don't want them looking at your hiding spot..

Jack
YES, YES THEY DO! :eek:

Parker

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well..........the tribe has spoken. I will have to have at least ONE "Parker" and ONE "Poor Valley" before next season!

A little bird told me that the laminated Parker striker was the real deal too!

Thanks all! :cheers:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I have several different calls. If you're going for a slate call it seems like parker and poor valley's calls are as good as they get. I have slate calls, but I also have one of the freak calls with a crystal surface...whatever that is. That thing is nice to. I know alot of people don't like alotof the commercial calls, but that thing sounds good and has killed alot of turkeys. Another friction call I would suggest trying out, and you'll have to go commercial unless our resident call makers get the material, is one of the sla-tek surfaced calls like the old yeller. If you havn't played one of those things do yourself a favor and try one. That surface is as good as it gets in my mind. Sounds great and very easy to call with. Great calls.

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Well..........the tribe has spoken. I will have to have at least ONE "Parker" and ONE "Poor Valley" before next season!

A little bird told me that the laminated Parker striker was the real deal too!

Thanks all! :cheers:
Very good choice-----:cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Another friction call I would suggest trying out, and you'll have to go commercial unless our resident call makers get the material, is one of the sla-tek surfaced calls like the old yeller.
Poor Valley and I (more Poor Valley than me) researched getting ahold of some of the sla-tek surfaces last fall, and you are not able to. The stuff is copy writed by Knight and Hale, and Primos. No one else can use is without getting threatening letters of being sued, and it sounds like their lawyers pursue that pretty strictly.

Wish I would've came up with the stuff.....but I SURE DIDN'T! :D

Parker

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've got a whole mix of calls. i have a couple of push pulls, a fighting purr double pushpull, a box call, a glass, aluminium, and slatek slate calls and most of them sit in my vest and I rely almost soley on my mouth call which this year was a H.S. Strut raspy old hen. When I'm eatin lunch, I will use one of the others for a bit but they are really starting to collect some dust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.