Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I generally like to keep it under 100 but I do practice at the longer range just in case. I feel that if you dont practice and feel confident about your shot and placement do the animal a favor let it walk.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Growing up we practiced taking 300 yd shots especially when it came to antelope and elk. The longest have taken was 240. My ladder stand now is 180 yards from the opposite side of the bean field and I will take those if they step out.:sniper:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I don't bow hunt so I wouldn't feel comfortable hitting it even if I was sitting on the thing. :D

With my .270....out to 300 yards and NOT moving is pretty much dead. However, my statistics show that if the thing is moving at a trot, I am probably good to 50 yards....more than a trot, no matter what the distance, just forget it. I have only hit one that was haulin' tail and it was going straight away from me meaning it was just a matter of at what point the bullet caught the deer.

·
27,478 Posts
40 yards with a bow

I would like to say 200 yards with a gun. But I have never practised at more than 100 yards. I don't know of a range that goes beyond 100 yds. I sight in 2 inches high at 100 so if there is ever a need for a longer shot, I think I can take it. But since you said confident of a clean kill, then with a gun it would have to be 100 yards.

·
Registered
42,104 Posts
Originally posted by caf4
I don't bow hunt so I would feel comfortable hitting it even if I was sitting on the thing. :D

With my .270....out to 300 yards and NOT moving is pretty much dead. However, my statistics show that if the thing is moving at a trot, I am probably good to 50 yards....more than a trot, no matter what the distance, just forget it. I have only hit one that was haulin' tail and it was going straight away from me meaning it was just a matter of at what point the bullet caught the deer.
Ditto... although not .270 but 30-06... :cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,555 Posts
30 bow
200max with rifle provided I have a good rest.
I aint that good freehanding anything over bout 150 :bangin:

Least I know my limits..

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
20 with the bow, 12-13 is just right....lol

Rifle, depends on the rest, if I'm solid, I've done alot of shooting out to 400 yds...offhand, would have to be alot closer!!!

·
Under appreciated
92,555 Posts
Originally posted by fireman_3311

Rifle, depends on the rest, if I'm solid, I've done alot of shooting out to 400 yds...offhand, would have to be alot closer!!!
good point.. I was shooting 4-500yds plus at a bowling-pin sized target in May but with a rock-steady rest
and plenty of time.
I figure to keep it within 200 for deer just cause of the places I hunt.. no need for anything beyond that in my case.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,354 Posts
I don't think I'd go more than 30-40 yards with a bow. I have taken a deer at about 150 yards off hand, but I know my gun can go longer. I don't know how far I would take a shot without some kind of rest.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't bowhunt (yet) so I don't have a distance there, but I am very confident out to 200 yds with my rifle. I know the ballistics of my round pretty well, and on a calm day I would be confident out towards 250-300.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Originally posted by fireman_3311
good point.. I was shooting 4-500yds plus at a bowling-pin sized target in May but with a rock-steady rest
and plenty of time.
I figure to keep it within 200 for deer just cause of the places I hunt.. no need for anything beyond that in my case.
Most of the places I hunt, 200 would be aplenty, but there are a couple of fields where a long shot could happen...but then, I've hunted the last 3 yrs with the muzzleloaders, so with that said, inline, 250 yds (with that good rest), sidelock, 100 yds!!!

·
5,631 Posts
Right now with my bow...35yds.

Rifle...200.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.