Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a month. I can almost say that I'm glad it's about over. This has surely been one of the most difficult Novembers for me since I began hunting both physically and mentally. Beware this post is a long one as it pretty much goes through the entire month..
Starting out let me say that I'm very fortunate to have a job that allows me the whole month off every year to do nothing but hunt, even more fortunate to have family that owns ground in IA, WI, IL and KS and so lucky to have a wife who gives me the whole month off with no parenting duties to do nothing but hunt and for all these I'm extremely thankful.

Nov 1, 2009- Bags are packed and the truck is loaded and I'm on the road to WI for a 8 day bowhunt with my dad.

Nov 3, 2009- One of the worst days in the woods I've ever experienced...7 a.m. cool, clear, and very crisp day in the woods. Hit the Parker grunter and watch a gross booner come strolling in, he hung up at about 60 yrds and procedes to destroy some young pines and work a scrape..this big ten had me so worked up I was shaking like a leaf. Hit the grunt tube again and like so many do he came straight in to the tree my stand was in. I have no idea what was going on in my mind but at 5 yds put an arrow into him in a very straight quartering to shot angle...burried ten inches of shaft into him. Looked for 3 solid days, no blood, no deer, no more WI buck tag in my pocket...with a sick feeling we packed our bags and head for KS. One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn...and I'm still mad because I know better than that.

November 7-13...hunting KS with my dad. Some of the most difficult hunting I've ever experienced. Temps in the 60's and 70's, deer moving at night, raining constantly, etc. Dad was able to tag out on a 146 inch 9 pt. on the 11th after a young doe ran the buck right underneath him. I'll post pics later on.

November 14-17...disgusted with KS and the weather and dad leaving due to no longer having a tag, I load the camera and pack up and head to Iowa to film my best friend. First night in we get in on a mid 160 inch 12 pt. that I still think was only 3 1/2, but my buddy wanted him..so while we passed several mid 140's to 150's that weekend and had multiple sightings of the 12 we never could seal the deal.

November 18-20...back to KS...saw a buck that I have several pics of. I giant 8 pt. that will go 150 if he's an inch. He was hung up with a doe for two days in an area with no huntable trees..spent two days in an observation stand. I think I can kill this deer and will focus the next month on him.

November 21-25...gun is packed and headed back up to WI for the gun opener. This hunt is as close to a sure thing as a person could hope for...not this year. Opening morning, was not in stand 15 minutes and I had about 15 does around me..the thing was they were acting really skittish which they should not have been. Our WI farm is so strictly managed that it would sicken most people..7 a.m. rolls around and I hear a boom, boom from the south, strange cus my dad wasn't over there, 7:15 boom from the east, again not my dad. Get a text from my dad, he's gonna go figure out whats going on. I decide to meet him. Sure enough trespassers..we call the warden immediately. 6 guys from IL. had snuck in our farm..upon investigation from the warden 8 dead buck heads in the back of their two trucks, some up to a week old, all at least 130 or better. All guns, trucks, atv, shells and heads were confiscated. Tens of thousands in fines issued. A walk over our farm found 3 dead deer with their heads cut off including a buck we called Gimpy that was a "no touch" deer because he was growing a huge non-typ. rack but was still only a 4 year old.

November 26th-present...I've now drawn for a special inner city hunt here in Topeka that I will focus on for the next couple of weeks then it's back to my big 8pt. All told I saw over 70 different bucks with approximately 35 of them being better than 130, 15 better than 140, 5 better than 150 and 2 better than 160. Had decided only for 150 or better this year and while it was hard I held to it. Did all my traveling at night so up to this point I've been in a tree 27 consecutive days.
I'm taking my 8 year old girl out for the KS gun opener with me on Dec. 2nd for her first deer hunt with dad and have vowed to myself that I'll take the first deer I see, so she can get into it without waiting to long and getting to cold. Hope it isn't a forky that walks down the trail:)
Congrats to all of you who were successful this season and for those that weren't there is still a lot of hunting to go so good luck.
For those of you who have kept up the encouragment through texts and calls..thank you.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:bowing: You are WAAAAY more hardcore than me man. :bowing:

Good luck the rest of the season. :cheers:

Parker

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parker...I really would like to thank you. While I haven't tagged anything with horns yet this year, your grunter has worked wonders and I've been extremely succesful in calling in several very good bucks with it. So have several others who I purchased calls for this year.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
man tough season for sure. that really bites about those tresspassers. that makes me sick and its not even my property.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
When it rains it pours. I hope the rest of your season is more productive in the tieing a tag on a deer department. It stills sounds like ya had ya some fun.

:cheers::cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1489451&tid=104038&author=bowhuntKS]Parker...I really would like to thank you. While I haven't tagged anything with horns yet this year, your grunter has worked wonders and I've been extremely succesful in calling in several very good bucks with it. So have several others who I purchased calls for this year.[/rquote]

:cheers: Thanks man. I'm glad to hear it is working well for you.

Now......if I can only come up with a call that makes them walk in broadside...... :thinking:

Parker

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1489525&tid=104038&author=henry] When it rains it pours. I hope the rest of your season is more productive in the tieing a tag on a deer department. It stills sounds like ya had ya some fun.

:cheers::cheers:[/rquote]

I had a great time. Being away from my parents all year is hard enough and due to some personal issues last year I was unable to hunt with my dad for the first time so this year was really quite special...Plus the inner city hunt in Topeka runs through Dec. 31 and I'm the only one who is hunting 160 acres in the middle of town along the KS river. Never know since this is the first year this piece is opened up to a hunt there could be a 200 incher hiding in there somewhere.
As for the poachers...to the best of my knowledge the county we live in had never had such a large bust as this one, as our farm was one of several that these fellows had poached deer off of. I'm pretty sure the WI DNR plans to make an example out of these boys. It was quite a treat watching their trucks being towed.

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
Great read.....Thanx for sharing it with us! I hope all goes quickly when you have KT in the cold! :)wave: KT!) Good luck and be safe! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1489573&tid=104038&author=lma]Great read.....Thanx for sharing it with us! I hope all goes quickly when you have KT in the cold! :)wave: KT!) Good luck and be safe! :cheers::cheers::cheers: [/rquote]

Yeah, me too. Not so sure how her and cold are going to get along but I stopped at the new Bass Pro in Des Moines on my way back through from WI and dropped a ton of cash on new camo for her and I got the warmest stuff I could find. I will tell her you said hello...she was actually just asking me yesterday if she could go on the hunting trip with all the kids and the nice ladies on it again next year...I told her the G2G was definatley a go for next year as well.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,945 Posts
Man that's heartbreaking....not the bad luck hunting or the mistake on the bad shot so much because that could have ended well,but the tresspasser story makes me want to puke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts