Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any replies.

As I write this, we have a logger finishing up his selective cutting on our property. I now have some bare dirt haul roads that I can reseed. Any suggestions? Right now, I'm going to spread a bag of wheat seed, to get some fast growth for erosion control, but I'm thinking long term about some type of perrenial to plant this fall. Is there a clover made that would stand up to that kind of low ph? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Some red clover, some white dutch clover, and some of that lespedeza will work. Get some lime down on it to make it easier for the erosion control plants to grow.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
well got a ? on this subject i planted a loggin road early this spring worked it up good. during the spring turkey season looked doing fine and a couple inches tall put down a little fert. havent made it back but going soon have a mineral lick close and a feeder i planted white and red clover. do you all think that it might not make it because of the sunlight is somewhat any comment would be great appreciated

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Sunlight, moisture, and soil conditions will determine how your road develops...You can make changes to two out of those three, most of the time, to enhance the ability for your plot to do well. If it can get about 3-4 hours of sunlight, and you limed and fertilized per your soil test... then you have done what you can. Need to hope that we don't have another droughty year this summer. Your white clover will go dormant real fast in hot weather, the red will stick around and provide some scenery, but remember, most red clovers are biennials. Logging roads are tough plots to make successful, did you trim or can you trim back some of the shading trees to help with sunlight and to provide you with more planting opportunities?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
My un scientific observation is that in any timber/shaded situation, if mother nature has not produced grass....fescue, crb, june grass, or a native......then planting anything in that spot will be less than a success.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wooddust

My haul roads are only about 4 weeks old at this point. For right now, I think I'm just going to get some wheat seed down, and get the soil tested, then figure out my fall game plan from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.