Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Blonde Bearded Guy
8,390 Posts
Few years back, thinking I was hunting again the next weekend, I took the primer out of a blued CVA wolf. Left it in the farm cabin in its case with powder and bullet for a month or four. It was corroded up pretty good from that. Took awhile to clean it. Won't do that ever again. It's an old beater I literally bought for 1 weekend hunt awhile ago. Turns out its a pretty decent shooter so I kept it and am still using it.

Reactions: dw84 and 20'

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Few years back, thinking I was hunting again the next weekend, I took the primer out of a blued CVA wolf. Left it in the farm cabin in its case with powder and bullet for a month or four. It was corroded up pretty good from that. Took awhile to clean it. Won't do that ever again. It's an old beater I literally bought for 1 weekend hunt awhile ago. Turns out its a pretty decent shooter so I kept it and am still using it.
Was that with blackhorn 209 powder?

These arent pellets or loose 777

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
Reactions: CRE10

·
Blonde Bearded Guy
8,390 Posts
Was that with blackhorn 209 powder?

These arent pellets or loose 777
Can't be fully certain, but I believe it was loose powder. 777. Was trying to use up what I had left from a Colorado elk hunt.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Any time a powder is exposed to oxygen, it oxidizes. As in Iron Oxide, aka RUST. Cool and dry are great, but if the lid ain’t on your powder, it’s going bad. The level of oxidation will vary depending on many variable such as metal composition, environmental parameters, ect. Cleaned and then oiled with a film that prevents exposure to oxygen is what keeps guns nice and purdy. Maybe if you positively pressurized your gun safe with a small but steady stream of an inert gas like Nitrogen. But hey, ML’s are cheap, right....

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
Real Men ride bareback....
Hey, it's a personal decision to keep your muzzle protected.......

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.... hahaha

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The last time this happened, I unloaded it rather than shot it out and it was still shiny clean, even where the powder sat. That said, I expected to get beat up about it.

I think the likelihood that it spontaneously ignites without a primer is more than cartridges but not a lot more. I'm not sure what could cause ignition in a cool, dark dry condition like that but if it were to happen, I doubt it penetrates the top of the safe and has the potential to cause any bodily harm. Anyway, its getting unloaded here in a bit.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Hey, it's a personal decision to keep your muzzle protected.......

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.... hahaha
Some people pay extra for texture....

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
The last time this happened, I unloaded it rather than shot it out and it was still shiny clean, even where the powder sat. That said, I expected to get beat up about it.

I think the likelihood that it spontaneously ignites without a primer is more than cartridges but not a lot more. I'm not sure what could cause ignition in a cool, dark dry condition like that but if it were to happen, I doubt it penetrates the top of the safe and has the potential to cause any bodily harm. Anyway, its getting unloaded here in a bit.
Crickets. They make a spark when they rub their legs together to make their mating call....
Responsible for 89% of all spontaneous combustions....

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Mines still loaded....I pulled the primer pin out! :D

Let's have a bet on Who's Muzzle Loader will go "Bang" without checking it and just go out Hunting! :cheers: :elmer:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts

To me the biggest potential for a disaster comes in when the guy "forgets" he left it loaded, and either double charges cause they are not paying attention, or maybe decides to fire off a cap to clear out the ignition... I'd say odds are low of any of that, but one thing for sure... An empty gun, will not go off accidently...... Maybe I am just over cautious though, pretty rigid about taking care of my firearms..... I'm just wound that way.

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
To me the biggest potential for a disaster comes in when the guy "forgets" he left it loaded, and either double charges cause they are not paying attention, or maybe decides to fire off a cap to clear out the ignition... I'd say odds are low of any of that, but one thing for sure... An empty gun, will not go off accidently...... Maybe I am just over cautious though, pretty rigid about taking care of my firearms..... I'm just wound that way.
Agree, can never be too safe, this happened out of pure laziness. Evidently I was smarter than I thought, for someone dumb enough to leave it loaded. I had a the trigger assy removed. I guess it could still go off but unlikely I suppose.

Reactions: callaojoe

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
am I having deja vu all over again ? :D

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Goes bad unless it's in a can or container? Muzzleloaders that have been loaded for 150-200 years have been known to fire after having been stored in appalling conditions. Black powder is not corrosive, it's fouling is. Imitations....well, they're just that. Never use them.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Years ago I know a Guy that loaned his Muzzleloader out. Next season he went to clean it. Popped a Cap. It went off he shot his wife in the Arm.

oneshot

:cool: :eek:

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
Time for the obligatory "my muzzleloader is still loaded" thread.

I guess I should shoot and clean but will it go bang? BH209
it sure did when my BIL went to shoot a "PRIMER" through his, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
it sure did when my BIL went to shoot a "PRIMER" through his, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is why, IMHO it's a bad idea to not unload them..... Someone might prime the thing up, not realizing it's loaded, and BANG!...... Dangerous combination, forgetful brains and live ammo. :D

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Years ago I know a Guy that loaned his Muzzleloader out. Next season he went to clean it. Popped a Cap. It went off he shot his wife in the Arm.

oneshot

:cool: :eek:
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE handling a firearm and not pointing the muzzle in a safe direction deserves what they get. Especially when they are mucking around pulling the trigger and such.

Dummerd.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts