Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atmosphere Twig Natural landscape Wood Tints and shades
Sky Twig Wood Natural landscape Afterglow
Burned about 10ac of woods last night. Perfect conditions. Can't wait to see what it turns into.

Reactions: letemgrow and jsr

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On purpose or accident? :)
On purpose. :)
Did it very carefully. Fire makes me really nervous but it worked out well. Last time I tried a burn it got away from me and luckily my fire breaks held.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
@hazelvillebucks what say you.....

Incoherent post to follow
blah blah blah fire can stay in hollow wood for weeks and FESTER. NOT A GOOD IDEA AND SPREADS CWD. The cure is not worth THE INVESTMENT IN TIME CULLING THE HERD IS DANGEROUS see BASTIAN.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
blah blah blah fire can stay in hollow wood for weeks and FESTER. NOT A GOOD IDEA AND SPREADS CWD. The cure is not worth THE INVESTMENT IN TIME CULLING THE HERD IS DANGEROUS see BASTIAN.
You forgot monkeys and demons and bats.

· Registered
6,911 Posts
Fire is a tool that depending on ones goal will achieve effect. The OP in a earlier post described where he was going to burn. He had in effect thru hinge cutting and edge feathering created nasty cover. If he has decided he no longer desires nasty edge fire would be a good tool to turn the nasty in to a golf course. Keep it up and he will not even have ruff.
Earlier someone was touting the magical effects of fire. In effect the benefit achieved would be comparable to turning clover into alfalfa.WHAT EVER,when one takes short cuts the finished product will be less than a Hazelville buck deserves.
Maybe fire is the magical tool to bring on the desired effect that the op wants , it is his habiat and he has his own goals. My goals are edge upon edge, lots of ruff, and releasing the oaks, the thorn less honey locust, the mulberry,the hedge, etc. Fire to me is reserved for prairie and savannas. FIRE EQUALS OUT THE DIVERSITY AND HURTS EDGE.
DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT THE ONLY WAY TO LOSE IS TO DO NOTHING. We all make mistakes but over time one artistic habitat mentality does improve.Habitat IS A COMPETITIVE SPORT SOMEONE MAY HAVE MORE LAND BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE THE WILL TOO MAKE IT THE ABSOLUTE BEST.

· Part-time malcontent
8,464 Posts
Fire is a tool that depending on ones goal will achieve effect. The OP in a earlier post described where he was going to burn. He had in effect thru hinge cutting and edge feathering created nasty cover. If he has decided he no longer desires nasty edge fire would be a good tool to turn the nasty in to a golf course. Keep it up and he will not even have ruff.
Earlier someone was touting the magical effects of fire. In effect the benefit achieved would be comparable to turning clover into alfalfa.WHAT EVER,when one takes short cuts the finished product will be less than a Hazelville buck deserves.
Maybe fire is the magical tool to bring on the desired effect that the op wants , it is his habiat and he has his own goals. My goals are edge upon edge, lots of ruff, and releasing the oaks, the thorn less honey locust, the mulberry,the hedge, etc. Fire to me is reserved for prairie and savannas. FIRE EQUALS OUT THE DIVERSITY AND HURTS EDGE.
DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT THE ONLY WAY TO LOSE IS TO DO NOTHING. We all make mistakes but over time one artistic habitat mentality does improve.Habitat IS A COMPETITIVE SPORT SOMEONE MAY HAVE MORE LAND BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE THE WILL TOO MAKE IT THE ABSOLUTE BEST.
You can tell all that from two blurry night-time photos?

· Registered
6,911 Posts
Need to burn it every 3 years. Good for all.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Green.
If you burn timber every three years you will end up with a open timber with little cover.If you wish to believe that the browse produces from a fire every three years will be the cats meow you can.
The last time i ran a fire thru some timber was number one a attempt to find a deer that was missing , and number 2 to see if it would help getting a plant called Prickly ash under control. It did a good job on the problem brush in that situation.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve opened up the canopy in about 5 spots in the ten acres. The burn was to get rid of leaf clutter and let the natural browse grow up. The areas I opened up were thick because of the down trees but I feel will really thicken up with the burn. It will be like a park for turkey season and like a jungle for deer season. That’s my hope.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.