Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Triple Creek Hunter
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used any of the liquid fertilizers for their foodplots? If so what was your experience? Cheaper than granular?

·
just a no body
14,409 Posts
thats great question especially with Granular fert prices going sky high.. How would you be getting yours TCH?

·
Triple Creek Hunter
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure have never tried it. I have a 25 gal sprayer on my mule so would be easier than spreading granual.
Just now starting research. Have seen some products out there that can be had for about $45 an acre.
One thing that concerns me most say to spray when plants are 2-3" tall. Concerned if I run over my turnips at that stage would I kill them?

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
If you do, make sure your sprayer has viton seals.

Foliar liquid applications of fertilizer I always thought of as a quick fix. SCU or IBDU granular fertilizers will give you some timed release and are a lot more forgiving in terms of application rate. And certainly less messy.

Someone might have a different opinion. @CuivreDog2 or @henry others I am probably missing. @centralMOhntr

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
I have never done liquid fertilizer. No help.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Some neighbors do it on hay and it acts super fast custom application . Like rat said if you spray your own and don’t have the right equipment it will trash your pump and and connections.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
At $45/ac and only having a utv sprayer, I would go with granular fertilizer. You could put a decent rate of dry fertilizer for about the same cost especially for a food plot. A lot of co ops have gas power spreaders that can be pulled with truck or utv and no tractor is needed. With these temps, I would sure want to make sure a rain is not far away or protect the nitrogen with a stabilizer to keep from volatilization.

Reactions: rat

·
Triple Creek Hunter
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a nice tractor so that not an issue. Probably will fertilize late summer early fall. Concerned about pump seals now so will probably stay with granular. I can generally catch a clearance end of summer at WM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts