Lights on platform

Discussion in 'Bow Fishing' started by TCENCOREMAN, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TCENCOREMAN

TCENCOREMAN New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    COLE COUNTY
    Do you just use cords too your lights or are they hard wired in? I plan on using a generator to power the lights.

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I'd say either or, I've got a couple hardwired but I need to rewire them, they lights are old

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'd hardwire em...If ya just run cords, they'll get unplugged, your drunk buddy will trip over em, etc!!!!:cheers:

4. fishshooter

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    [rquote=1285589&tid=89915&author=fireman_3311]I'd hardwire em...If ya just run cords, they'll get unplugged, your drunk buddy will trip over em, etc!!!!:cheers:[/rquote]

I didn't know we'd bowfished togther before :scared:

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

[rquote=1285590&tid=89915&author=fishshooter][rquote=1285589&tid=89915&author=fireman_3311]I'd hardwire em...If ya just run cords, they'll get unplugged, your drunk buddy will trip over em, etc!!!!:cheers:[/rquote]

I didn't know we'd bowfished togther before :scared:[/rquote]

When we do, we're gonna have FUN!!!!:rock:

6. fishshooter

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    :claphands: Hopefully it will be worth a hoot this week, noting worse than struggling to get bait :mad2:

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    you can do what ever
    the frist year we used power strips and cut a hole in a rubber made tote and putt the stipps in side it and run all the cords there...
    just have to make sure your stips and cords are heavy enough to handle the load

now we have switches and half the lights hard wired and also two plugs under the deck with all the power coming from one service off the 240 plug on the genny.
    just makes things neater and less wires running all around but you do spend more cash that way.

8. TCENCOREMAN

TCENCOREMAN New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    COLE COUNTY
    Do you leave your lights on your platform all the time or do you take them off? Do you ground your generator or will it ground through the 3 prong cord, do not want to get a jolt ya know.

9. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    well the lights stay bolted to the plat form but i do that the platform off the boat at times

i am running off the 4 prong 240 plug
    theres really no true way to ground the system running in a boat (i mean you could gound to the boat but thats not safe at all) just keep the wires off the bottom and outta any "standing water in the bottom of the boat and your fine.

10. TCENCOREMAN

TCENCOREMAN New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    COLE COUNTY
    Thanks for the info. How many lamps do ya need ,5 -500w ? Do ya have some pictures of your boats?

11. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Hfff and me are running 8 halogen lamps. I think 6 are 500 watt and 2 are 350 watt ultra bulbs. The 350 ultras aren't made anymore. When you can find them, you pay out the nose for them. Our system works good but it takes a big genny to run that many watts.

If you had the coin, buy High Pressure Sodium lights. You have to buy housings and everything. They're not too terribly expensive but probably 4 times the cost of halogen lamps. They are WAY brighter and run on MUCH less wattage. You can get buy with less lights and a smaller genny.

Here is a pic of Hfff with the boat. The gray box on the back of the platform is the junction box that is "hard wired" to the genny via a 4 prong 240 plug. It has switches so we can turn the lights on and off at the box instead of messing with the breakers or unplugging wires on the genny. He may have some better pics of the wiring. Hopefully he'll post them. It's set up real nice.

[​IMG]

12. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i don't have any great pics but heres a couple

like jmac said if your buying new especally if you have a smaller genny the 150watt hps are SO the way to go you can pick them up for 42 bucks each and on 150 hps is putting out more lumens than a 500 watt halo and the bulbs last alot longer....

any way here is some wiring pics i took the 240v four prong plug and run it to the box shared the ground wire and neutral wire then run one hot to one switch and the other to the other so that makes each leg 120v. it sound confusing but it really isn't and if you have the 240v plug its so much better on the genny by keeping your amps (the load on your genny) lower...
    the important thing about doing it this way is you HAVE to run each leg with an equal pull on each side
    i am running
    4-500 watt halo's
    2-350 watt ultra halos (you can't get these any more for less than 40 bucks a bulb no light but they put out more lumens than the normal 500 watt bulbs.)
    2-300 watt halo's

half on each leg.

another thing is a genny is rated for a peak wattage, and a continous wattage the rule of thumb is keep your total light pull at about 75-80% what the rated continous is for a long life to your genny

i have a 4600 watt peak/4000 continous and so i am pulling 3300 watts continous which is 82% of my rated continous useage.
    any way heres some pics of the set up

[file]59595[/file]

[file]59593[/file]

13. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    everyone talks wattage loads but when saftey comes in to play you really really need to be more concerned with the amps you can over load that alot easier especally if you using surge protectors and pluging in several lights in to the same plug
    the amps is were you get over loaded easy then wires get to hot melt and then you got saftey problems

14. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'm gonna miss ol' Slow Pokin'. :whinging:

15. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i bet after the first trip out in "runnin deep" you won't even remember slowpokin LOL

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Hope you're right, Captain. But there sure have been some mighty fun times had in that boat.

17. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    On our boat there is 2 power strips. 4 lights get plugged into one and 3 into the other. Then we run a 110 extension cord from each power strip to the generator in the back of the boat. Pretty simple set-up. If I remember I will take pics before I go to work Thursday

18. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

We run 4 high output propane lanterns with stainless steel shields behind them. Stealth running and we can see as far as we would want to shoot. I refill the small canisters to save $$. Lots of people don't believe it works till they see it. Got $200 in the whole setup.

19. TCENCOREMAN

TCENCOREMAN New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    COLE COUNTY
    I mounted 4, 500 watt lamps on last night. my generator is a honda 3000, so i could handle a few more lamps i think. will post pictures soon.

20. Mad-Shooter

Mad-Shooter New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Montrose, MO
    [rquote=1286462&tid=89915&author=Woods]We run 4 high output propane lanterns with stainless steel shields behind them. Stealth running and we can see as far as we would want to shoot. I refill the small canisters to save $$. Lots of people don't believe it works till they see it. Got $200 in the whole setup.[/rquote]

:kewlpics: