LEVERevolution Ammo

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by sand_manms, Feb 6, 2006.

1. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Hornady has developed tipped bullets that are safe in tubular lever action rifles, What do you think of this?

I want to try the 30-30 in my bolt action.
  2. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Looks like there may be a little bit of slanting things to suit a need. However, I for one will take a close look at my own test of this ammo.---But still....I can,t help but wonder why they didn't compare 170's to 170's or 150's to 150's since they are traditional 30-30 weights.

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

North American Whitetail had a write up on that ammo in thier recent issue...PV, if I remember correctly, these weren't offered in 150 or 170, only in 160 gr for the 3030...I will be tryin some of these out of my TC Contender pistol, I'll have to find out how they do....
  4. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    one thing that stuck out at me really fast is the 150 grain "old" bullet was zeroed at 100 yards on there balistic table

when you look at the new bullets the 160 gr was 3 inches high at 100 and just slightly above zero at 200yrd

so i am with pv here they many not me a maricle answer to the old lever action
    i bet they still prefore better than the old soft points though.
  5. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Yea, that's my point. If Horn matched the weights of the projectiles guys like us could make our own comparisons right out of the box.
    On the other hand I would be interested to know if the bullets are available for reloaders and if they would be safe enough to withstand the heavier recoil of my 307.
  6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Marlin 1895MXLR
    The new XLR series takes advantage of Hornady’s new Lever Evolution loads, a polymer-tipped bullet specially designed for lever actions. The XLR line boasts stainless-steel barrels, receivers and levers and a new laminated stock.
  7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

That's a pretty gun!!! I would like to see some tests done on some of the larger calibers......444, 45/70 for example.
  8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

a quick glance tells me these are Ballistic tips.. if they are NO THANKYOU
  9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They are a polymer-tipped. Pliable without losing it's shape.

It would be interesting to see how they shoot in my son's Winchester.
  10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Beanpile.. I'm guessing that you have had bad experiences with bt projectiles??
  11. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Beanpile, the tips are rubbery, not hard, so they, theoretically, shouldn't set off a primer in the magazine. That remains to be seen. As for myself, I shoot a boltgun or two, it doesn't mean anything to me. PV brings up an excellent point, though, they don't compare apples and apples. OTOH, the 160 was the original weight for the .30/30, so it at least is historically accurate....... I doubt they can do much more with a .30/30 than has already been done, in velocity terms, too many old creaky 94s out there, but sand_mans boltgun has interesting possibilities.....
  12. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

a few months ago there was a thread started by Mobiggerbucks about opinions on the Ballistic tip. Too many stories from my own friends of deer that should of stayed dead but did'nt because of the lack of penitration of ballistic tips.
  13. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Well... they seem to be a pretty neat breakthrough.

I would like to see more tests and information also though. :wink4:
  14. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I have an older Savage bolt action I was gonna try to load pointed tips for but this may save me the trouble. I want to find some and give them a try. When I do I will pass along how they do.

FATBIRD New Member

I ordered two boxes in .30-30 to see what the deal is, not here yet. I don't have a lever action .30-30 but thought I'd try them in my single shot. I am waiting for the .444s to be released so I can try them in my lever action .444.
    What problems are being experienced with the ballistic tips? No penetration was mentioned, is that the only problem? I load 125 Gr Nosler BTs for my single shot .30-30 and have had excellent results with it, one shot one deer each time. Have I just been lucky?