Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a Marlin lever gun for deer hunting this season. I was wondering what caliber I should get it in? Also what kind sights should I use? I will be using it for deer and maybe hogs. The shots will range from maybe 20 feet to 100 yards no more than 150 yards. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have a 336 in 30-30 and with the new Leverevolution ammo I can shoot out to 200 yards with ease....
I like the rifle, kept it with iron sights and put a nice leather sling and butt cuff on it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about the 30-30 but the guy who has them also has a 444 marlin. My buddy has a 45-70 marlin and he loves it. I have not shot a 30-30 (believe it or not) but I have shot a 45-70 and It didn't hurt, alot less than my 3" 12 gauge.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
I have a Marlin 336 30/30 and a Marlin 45/70 and both of them I shoot the Hornady lever ev. and the 45/70 is a tack driver @150 yds , myself I would go with the 45/70 , but ammo for the 30/30 is cheaper and there are more choices for it and for deer and the yardage you will be shooting the 30/30 would be a great choice

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
30-30 is my first choice in leverguns. I prefer Winchesters but Marlins are good also. I also prefer peep sights on my leverguns. Makes the rifle lightweight, superquick close in and much more accurate at longer ranges.

I have a heavy hitter equipped with a 1.75 -7 power scope that also works well in timber. The low power has tremendous field of view and the higher power is fine at longer range. Also have a flat shooter with a standard 3-9x40 good mostly where shots are at longer range.

Leverguns come with several deficiencies that affect them severly at longer range. Notorious poor triggers, lightweight and short barrels and poor ballistics. In a word they are short range rifles with a reliable limit of about 125 yds. Dependable accuracy at longer rang will require a lot of consistant practice.:02:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
i HAVE A 336W Marlin with red dot scope I'd part ways with...I'm looking to get a .270 or something like that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 45/70 is a hoot to shoot and if you reload you can load anything from mild to wild. The 30/30 is a old standby for deer hunting and with the new ammo is a fine choice. There is another cal that makes a fine deer getter and that is the 35 Rem; any of these cal in a levergun would make a fine choice. Just go with the best deal you can come up with and keep the cost of ammo in mind. Good hunting! :superman:

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
35 Rem is a great round too!

·
Registered
854 Posts
try the marlin 35 rem when i got started deer hunting my dad set me up with a 30-30 and as i got older i just wanted something different that was 18 yrs ago and i still take that 35 every chance i get it is a great brush gun with plenty of knock down

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
[rquote=1591970&tid=110466&author=sand_manms]35 Rem is a great round too! [/rquote]
Glad to hear this. The first week of march I am going to be the proud owner of the one Ghost Hunter was selling :claphands:

·
Former Chicken Man
20,332 Posts
[rquote=1591911&tid=110466&author=WhiteTailer]i HAVE A 336W Marlin with red dot scope I'd part ways with...I'm looking to get a .270 or something like that.[/rquote]

That's a nice rifle. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
[rquote=1591970&tid=110466&author=sand_manms]35 Rem is a great round too! [/rquote]

My ex f-i-l has one of these and a pistol in the same cal. That way he can carry both the rifle and a sidearm without having to bring along two different cal. of shells. Just another option to think about. :thinking:

·
17,674 Posts
If anyone has an older model 336 they wanna get rid of to a good home, I would trade ya for it. Just puttin the word out.

:smiley:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.