Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Trapper Groupie
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Marlin Express in 308 and was hunting mainly woods where a 75 yard shot was a long one.I havent ever really shot at a target a 100 yds cause there was no need.I will get out there this summer and see what me and my setup is capable of before next season.Marlin advertised this gun as a 300 yd gun but the more I read on them it seems for the average shooter this is reaching beyond its limitations.I am in on a lease with lots of crops so I will have a couple hundred yard shot easily and I will shoot it this summer to see what we are capable of.Just wondering for those of you with lever guns how far can you shoot accurately.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
They will exceed an average shooters limitations

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,024 Posts
Which rifle is it?

The 308 ML, or 308 MLXR? My understanding, the 308 ML, is probably a 200 yd gun, and the MXLR, is "supposedly" a 300-400 yard gun.

I've been thinkin about getting a lever gun for quite a while now, and that rifle is on the top of my list...... Just not sure if I'd wan't the MLXR or just the ML...... But, I am not on my way to go buy it yet, so I still have time to decide.

Are you using a scope, or open sights?

·
Trapper Groupie
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the MX,blued/walnut 22" barrel topped with a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40.I chose the see thru scope mounts so I still had the option of using the iron sights.It is a cheaper scope but seems fine to me never having a high end scope.Will these types of scope mounts affect the accuracy.Guns and ammo stated that with the technology of the hornady loads that the 30-30 is capable out to 250.If that is the case surely the 308 would be good to 300 with the right trigger man.I hear now they sell the dies so these shells can be handloaded,where they couldnt be when I bought it.Is the hornady a pretty good shell or would a guy notice a considerable difference to pay someone to work him up a load.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,024 Posts
My understanding is the Hornady 160gr load for that rifle is very good..... I've got a couple of Bushnell Trophy scopes, and they are not bad for the price you pay. And, you should be able to kill deer with that rifle at 200 - 250 yds.

I have seen Hornady dies for both the 308MX and 338MX cartridges.... But, I am not sure how available brass is yet.... And, Hornady may be the only maker of it. I've even debated the 338MX if I ever do buy one.... But, it'd have to be the 338 MXLR for that cartridge... I would think, it would make one heck of an Elk rifle..... Just in case I ever get to do that as well.....:praying:

I am sure someone could work up some really nice loads for that rifle. But, if all you are doing is hunting deer in MO with it, and don't really plan on doing much else with it. Then, the expense of getting into reloading it, probably isn't worth it if you don't already have the reloading equipment.:shrug:

·
Trapper Groupie
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there an accuracy issue with the see thru mounts at those distances,seems like the longer distance guys always use the regular mounts.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
How does the gun group at 100 yards?
Anything less than 2" will do just fine out to 300 yards.
Aside from having a pretty good guess on the distance, the only thing you need to worry about is the rest. The wind is not usually a factor in Missouri.

As usual, the limiting factor of a modern rifle round is trajectory - it's normally not a good idea to hold over into air.
I don't have a ballistic chart in front of me for the 308Marlin, but 2" high at 100 is always the standard number and that should allow you to go all the way to 350 yards without holding over the animal. No, I would not consider the 308Marlin or the 308Winchester to be a 400 yard gun.

What I don't like about the Marlin Express is the fact that most people who shoot at longer distances need to do so prone. That's all good for the first shot. But having seen 30-30's kill antalope, they are pretty clumsy to lever in a new round and second shots take forever compared to a bolt action.

[Edited on 12-23-2009 by curtism1234]

[Edited on 12-23-2009 by curtism1234]

·
Trapper Groupie
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had only sighted in at around 75 yds and patterned very well at that distance,all within 2",thanks for the input guys.Gonna have to get out there and shoot it to find out.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
As soon as this rifle became available I ran one down for a look. I was impressed with the idea. I called Hornady and talked with them in length.

The more I learned the less impressed I was. It is an improvement over the 30-30 but it is NOT a 308 and will NEVER shoot with one.

If you look at available reloading data the shine really falls off this round. Hornady uses a propriatry powder for the FTX ammo and they will not share. Reload wise the 308 FTX is very similar to the old Savage 300 or about the same as the 307 that Win came out with in the 80's. It failed to catch on.

The rifle itself, in my opinion is a beefed up 336. It is just another levergun that comes complete with all the inherient problems of all leverguns. They may shoot very well at 2 - 300 yds but I wouldn't bet a big buck on it.

Don't forget. I'm a levergun nut and I intend to build some ammo with the FTX bullets but reality indicates Hornady has oversold this rifle.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
There was an interesting poll on the Marlin website a few months ago that asked if consumers would be interested in a leveraction which fires your standard cartridges like the 243, 30-06, etc.

This tells me they are atleast considering building a brand new rifle to compete with the BLR and beat Savage to the punch who has been talking about bringing back the 99 for several years now. One would guess that Marlin would try to make their's as reasonable in price as possible.
It also makes you wonder if they could somehow use the Remington pump/semi magazines.

·
Trapper Groupie
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1521411&tid=106041&author=Poor Valley]As soon as this rifle became available I ran one down for a look. I was impressed with the idea. I called Hornady and talked with them in length.

The more I learned the less impressed I was. It is an improvement over the 30-30 but it is NOT a 308 and will NEVER shoot with one.

If you look at available reloading data the shine really falls off this round. Hornady uses a propriatry powder for the FTX ammo and they will not share. Reload wise the 308 FTX is very similar to the old Savage 300 or about the same as the 307 that Win came out with in the 80's. It failed to catch on.

The rifle itself, in my opinion is a beefed up 336. It is just another levergun that comes complete with all the inherient problems of all leverguns. They may shoot very well at 2 - 300 yds but I wouldn't bet a big buck on it.

Don't forget. I'm a levergun nut and I intend to build some ammo with the FTX bullets but reality indicates Hornady has oversold this rifle.[/rquote]

I had originally asked your opinion in your thread on BLR but figured to make a new thread instead of hijacking yours.After I have read more I agree with your "diagnosis"so to speak.I have once again got caught up in the marketing hype.Dont get me wrong I like the gun but I dont think it is quite what they advertise.Thanks

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
[rquote=1521447&tid=106041&author=Big L] I have once again got caught up in the marketing hype. [/rquote]

Very true

They don't want people to know a 30-30 170gr powerpoint is plenty good out to 250 yards.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I love the gun itself and think the idea of a harder shooting LG is a great idea. When I started asking questions and looking at reloading I noticed some weakness in Hornady's plan.

Have you noticed on their website they advertise the Marlin Express is the flattest shooting LG ever? That just simply isn't true.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,024 Posts
[rquote=1521461&tid=106041&author=Poor Valley]
Have you noticed on their website they advertise the Marlin Express is the flattest shooting LG ever? That just simply isn't true.[/rquote]

In your opinion.... Which one is? I am curious about this, as I'd like to add a lever gun to my safe at some point.... And, was seriously considering the 308 MX.....:thinking:

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
I Love my LG, however I know its limitations which mostly are my own (Eyes)---I have never taken any game out over 130 yards with it---If I'm hunting in an area where a longer shot might be the logical thing then I carry the 06!:cheers::cheers:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,024 Posts
Well, if/when I buy one, I planned to use it for when I hunt tighter cover on my place, and use my 30-06 when I may have a longer shot..... Was thinkin of putting a nice peep sight, and not using a scope.... Maybe a good 336 in 30-30 is really what I want..... Just not sure yet.....:shrug:

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
[rquote=1521474&tid=106041&author=callaojoe]Well, if/when I buy one, I planned to use it for when I hunt tighter cover on my place, and use my 30-06 when I may have a longer shot..... Was thinkin of putting a nice peep sight, and not using a scope.... Maybe a good 336 in 30-30 is really what I want..... Just not sure yet.....:shrug:[/rquote]

I put an elevated scope on my 336 so I still have the factory hard sights---It works great "FOR ME":cheers:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.