Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let\'s get this census sign up started!

We will need to have everyone signup and get a number that you will use for your site identification. So, can you please sign up on this thread and list the following:

For Missouri only...sorry!

Your name and county that you will be conducting the survey.

The number of acres that will be surveyed and what kind of cameras that you will use. (Please keep your acreage to within 100 acres per camera)

The survey will be held for 10 days in August of 2006. I would like for you to be able to pre-bait these sites, before the survey. The dates will be determined later...I am thinking some along the lines of early to mid August due to September bow season opener.

The sites will have to be baited frequently if consumption of bait prevents survey pics to be taken...Replinishing the site once or twice during the survey should not skew the numbers.

Baiting in Missouri is Illegal during the season...so...if you think that there will be a problem or if you just want to let your Missouri Conservation Department official for your area know what is going on...feel free to contact them at your convienence. I would encourage this...can't hurt to let them know that you are doing something that might encourage more data retrieval from our MDC.

I have successfully secured the basic version of Buckspy for each survey participant that fully cooperates in this first ever statewide endeavor. You will only receive the software if you fully cooperate with the rules and regulations...not to be a hard a$$ but, I need good info without a bunch garbage to confuse this effort.

I am also trying to secure the baiting feed for this survey. Lonnie Hansen will be contacted after enough interest has been cataloged and he will be issued an overall outline of how the survey be conducted.

The guidelines will follow shortly...they are basically the same ones from the post on census update, (http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=25078), from the Mississippi web site. Please visit that thread and view the concept before engaging in this effort.

Picture evaluation will be important and how we do this can set the stage for future data collection in Missouri...so, please treat this like you would your taxes...keep good notes and records.

Thank you very much for your attention!:cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm In! I've got 2 Moultrie digital 200 cams, and 1 Moultrie 100 digital cam. I will cover Ralls and Monroe, and I can cover audrain if needed. Hopefully I can get a couple more Moultrie cams before the survey.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need the acreage that your cameras will cover and the exact counties. Otherwise you should make up number plates that will be visible in your photos that will read..

#1 for your first camera

#1a for your second camera

#1b for your third camera....

Thank you....I have to have exact acreages or the numbers won't mean much.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using trail cameras as a census tool has been done many times in other states and I posed a question, many months ago, if anyone would be interested in doing a trail camera census....

There were many that posted that they would be interested.

Trail cameras can give you much recordable data that can be used for a myriad of purposes. What we are trying to do here is get a picture of the deer herd using the cameras and possibly give the data to the Missouri Department of Conservation to see if their data collection reveals some of the same results.

These cameras are a great tool and if hunters would be willing to use their time and efforts to forward Missouri's deer management...then everyone benefits...

Ps....this is not to prove that one management technique is better than another..it is just a way to show that data collection can be done throughout the state and provide a better "picture" of our deer herd.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy pinwheel!!

Visit the thread that is linked above and see if you would want to help us do a census of Missouri's deer herd.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, if you want to do this list your county that you be conducting this in, how many acres, and try to block if off for 1 camera per 100 acres.

Since Goldtip has listed first, I would ask him to put a number 1 on his census site where the camera will capture pictures of the deer and will also show that it was his site #1...if has more than one camera, he would then mark them #1, #1a, #1b, and so forth...

Now if you are number 2 to sign up then do the same for your sites.

Please follow the directions on the Mississippi web site about camera censusing and ask any questions that you may have.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Thayer i am in,but can we do a cam for every 50 acres,due to My place is in Iron county on the fourth highest peak in MO.we get several different deer passing in and out through out all the valleys ,just a question,I have a total of 123 acres

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok...your number 3.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a look at the spreadsheet of info...need more participants and info.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is just a preliminary writeup on how this is going to be done...looks like we will have to cut our teeth on the August survey and make the necessary changes for the one that I guess we should do in late January or February for a more accurate census of the overall deer herd.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will try to....

How best to implement a camera survey depends on the information needs. If the pre-season photographs of bucks are a primary objective of the survey, then fall would obviously be the appropriate time. Accurate estimates of deer density and sex ratio can be obtained in either pre- or post-season. However, for best estimates of population characteristics, camera surveys should be conducted in winter at a density of 1 camera per 100 acres.

Camera stations should be selected carefully and pre-baited for 4-6 days. Set cameras on a 10-minute delay and operate for no less than 5 consecutive days. Operating cameras for up to 10 days can significantly improve results, especially if individual buck photographs are an important objective. For example, results of a 7-day winter survey with a camera per 100 acres should be increased by a factor of 1.25 due to the 80% accuracy. If camera numbers are limited, rotate each camera to a new station after each survey period for up to 4 stations per camera. However, cameras should be dispersed over the entire area for each survey period.

The infrared-triggered camera method offers a practical option for surveying deer populations. It may not provide all the answers needed, but it is an exciting new tool that can be used in conjunction with other deer data collection techniques. It is guaranteed to add a new level of knowledge and element of excitement to the experiences associated with deer management and hunting.

Depending on desired accuracy, grid the property into 100- or 200-acre compartments. Locate a bait site with high deer use near the center of each compartment and clear vegetation within a 10' radius.

Select a tree or install a post 12-15' from the center of the circle and set the camera facing either north or south to avoid sun glare. Pay special attention to the "view" of the camera and remove obstructions. A numbered sign in the view identifies the site.

Pre-bait each site for 5 days with 30-40 pounds of corn in the center of the circle and check daily. Notify your local Conservation Officer that a deer survey is being conducted.

Set the camera to record date and time with a 10-minute delay between pictures.

Set the monitor so the beam is aimed 20-30 inches above the bait to eliminate unwanted photos of raccoons and other small animals. Use your own judgment here, sites require different setups.

Operate cameras 10 days depending on budget and desired accuracy. For those who have digital cameras, disregard this next sentence. Check film cameras daily, if possible, replacing film as needed. Use 200 ASA print film with either 24- or 36-exposure rolls depending on animal activity and frequency of checking cameras.

Analyze the photos to determine total number of photos each of bucks, does, and fawns and the number of individual bucks. Do not include unidentifiable deer. We can help you do this, but I am hoping that you will all be truthful about these numbers and can give some good numbers to put into the overall survey.

and some of the number crunching...

SAMPLE SURVEY CALCULATIONS

Acres surveyed = 1,000
Camera sites = 10 with 1 camera per 100 acres
Consecutive survey days = 7

Total photographs of deer = 490
Buck photos = 120
(individual bucks identified = 35)
Doe photos = 230
Fawn photos = 140

Use the relationship of the number of unique bucks
(35) to the total number of bucks photographed
(120) to calculate a population factor:
35 / 120 = .29

From Figure 1, 80% of deer are photographed after 7 days, so adjust by an extrapolation factor of 1/.8 = 1.25

Estimates of population characteristics:
Bucks = 35 x 1.25 = 44
Does = 230 x .29 = 67 x 1.25 = 84
Fawns = 140 x .29 = 41 x 1.25 = 51
Total population = 179

Acres per deer = 1,000/179 = 5.6
Buck to Doe ratio = 35:67 = 1:1.9
Fawn crop = fawn/doe = 41/67 = .61 or 61%

This was taken from the Mississippi site, just a few minor changes.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,760 Posts
Thayer, I see my name with no other info on the spread sheet. That must mean you need more info from me. I own 135 acres, but have access to hunt my neighbors 160 acres as well, so I'll be using 2 cameras in Knox co. They are both homebrew digitals. My work gets pretty busy that time of year, so I don't garuntee I'm monitoring this or many other sites then. You can alsway send me an email as we get closer. [email protected]. I look forward to participating.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, changes made....where are all you other guys???:confused:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I should be able to do this. I am in Platte County and will be able to do 1 camera on 80 acres easily and could possibly do another at a different property if need be.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hoytshooter..you would be #5. What kind of camera??

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Leaf River digital

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.