Let conservationists and outdoorsmen set the seasons

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by Skduckhunt, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    I am disgusted, The top thinkers at the MDC have lumped 2 youth waterfowl days and youth whitetail days on the same weekend...I fail to see any reason to make kids make a choice to hunt...Is the MDC trying to drive down the numbers of hunters ??? Make it easy for the kids to hunt, dont make them choose!!!
    I jut posted this on the MDC facebook page, but it needs to clear the CIA before posting.

In the past, waterfowl youth days from the north and middle zones were on different weekends, this year, with the split, they coincide... previously a youth could take advantage of the North waterfowl youth day and still hunt for whitetails on its youth day... So wherever you live in the state you could get kids out to hunt both weekends if you would drive a couple of hours. Now its all on the same day. simple stupidity....hunter numbers in decline, why??? poor decision making at the top levels of control... loss of hunter numbers will eventually cause a political money grab and you will lose cash cow 1/8 cent tax... there are sharks circling already. get the youth numbers high, please separate the youth hunt days...

MWT, tell me how you feel about this...

2. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    Meh......just take them regular season, tons of days to duck hunt with kiddos.

3. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    While its unfortunate this year, It wont be like that every year. Its similar to qhen youth deer season falls on halloween. Theres no real way to set it with no conflicts that time of year. I guess they could make youth season 2 weekends prior, but I dont know if the NAWCA will allow it.

4. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Looks like that might have been overlooked. I guess i am to old to remember the reasons why duck harvest is so restricted as they fly thru here . iT appears we are closely watched so those ducks can be slaughtered down south and into Mexico. The best duck season is now , but that is not legal either.:eek:

5. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Everybody wants a special season or time for this, for that, "it's for the kids" ... crap. MDC doesnt have enough days in the calendar to make everybody happy.

6. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Sk, you might contact MDC and ask why they didnt or cant move the youth season in the north back another week. That would put the timing about the same as it was this year. Its worth a shot. Maybe the overlooked it and there is time to change it.

7. SNIDER

SNIDER Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Puxico, Mo.
    I second MOGC, MDC can't please every One, Leave them Do what they do and Just be Thankful There are things to HUNT.

8. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    I guess you could shoot birds in the morning and deers in the evening. Happy tired kids.

9. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Hawk, I already contacted the MDC

10. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Tcwild, that works if you hunt both in the same place... Tough if you have to park a boat and drive a couple of hours... Its great time with the kiddos but not with a firearm.

11. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Snider, its all about access, getting kids that are not normally able to hunt out in the woods or marsh.

12. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    MOGC, If its not about the kids, who then is it for?

13. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Probably best to do away with youth seasons. They seem to cause a lot of angst.

14. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    I don't mind a youth season here and there. You're the one complaining they have too many opportunities. Like I said, there's not enough time on the calendar to make everyone happy. In life we sometimes have to make choices. Be happy to have those opportunities to choose from and quit complaining. The kids will learn a valuable life lesson from it.

15. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    There's duck parks 1-2 hours from anywhere it seems like, and huntable water closer yet. Seems realistic to be able to do both if the kid really wanted to.

16. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    MOGC, I am not complaining about too many opps, I am complaining about them being grouped in one day..

17. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I am a deer guy so if i wanted to do both i know which one i would choose. How about a youth teal hunt ? if i were in the situation described i would just get the duck out of the way early in teal season.
    Hearing the sound of the wings and having the teal come out of the early morning haze low and fast is a good place to start a youth.It is one of the finer things life offers.

18. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Too many opportunities on the same day. First world problems...

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Unless the framework prevents it I really think this will get fixed. Maybe not this year but for future seasons.

20. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Scott ,,,,,Retirement is suppose to mellow oneself ,,,not make you more cantankerous ;),,,,,,that and trying to change the last decade or two of mdc policy's ,is gonna be a challenge :D
    i see a phone call in Sara's future