Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son is left handed and all my guns are of course right handed. Do any of you lefty's have any trouble shooting right handed guns? What about the semi-autos? I was thinking of letting Drake start shooting my 10/22 but wasn't sure of the empties spitting out and maybe hitting his face? Any advise Or comments welcome. Thanks:confused:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Make sure he's wearing safety glasses and a ball cap, and he should be good for giving that 10/22 a whack. :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
right or left HANDED shouldn't really matter...ya need to figure out which eye is dominant, and shoot that way!!! Either eye, I bet he has a blast!!!

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
My son-in-law( to be) is left handed and he borrowed my Rem 1100 (auto) and did ok with it. He said that the empty flew by his nose but no powder burns or anything. I think I'll look for a used left handed 1100 for him for a wedding present. I think he'd like that but not so sure of my daughter and wifes thoughts about the present. Guys never get anything good for wedding presents anyway. He'd be my hunt'n bud for sure.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I've never had probelms shooting right handed guns. Since I always shut my right eye when shooting, I guess that may be one of the main reasons: I don't see the empty shells being ejected from the guns...

I really like shooting the right handed semi's... I think its easier to load them as a lefty! (I can keep my left hand on the handle, and load with my hand that would otherwise be on the fore-end of the stock.)

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
BRAKE--- Just a question... my dad always says that I'm left handed (or I should say he made sure I was left handed) because I was supposed to be a major league pitcher...

Any similarities there???

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
I kave been shooting a Rem 7400 30-06 and a Win 1400 12ga left handed for years and never had any trouble. The ejected casings just whiz right in front of me un noticed.

I do have a left handed 270 and it seems a little akward as I am right handed but have a right eye that was damaged in a auto accident.

We just do what we have to do.

:sniper:

G

·
I,m a lefty. Some auto do cause a problem , the flying casing will cause a youngster to flinch. I shoot several right handed pumps, no problems. For deer I have a left handed Rem700.
If I was buying an auto shotgun I would get one with bottom eject. Start a youngster with a bolt or single shot.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,253 Posts
I haven't got burned but if I shoot a semi I use glasses because I have gotten powder in my eye. Now I only have pumps.

Lefty, my situation is opposite of yours. I was naturally left handed but back in the mid 60's my parents didn't think lefthanded was good so I was converted. It turned out okay because now I can do things pretty good both ways. I am left eye dominant.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Center Punch ~ how complicated is switching the trigger ona gun???

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Thanks a lot sir!

I was going to contact a gunsmith about this either way...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.