Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am looking for land to lease and I've never done this before any tips or advice I can get would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Make sure ya get everything in writing. Make sure the landowner is confirmed on OnX or hunt stand or county office. E.g. You dont want to be paying the son fer his dads ground.

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
Be ready to go look at any ground you find ASAP and be ready to commit to it the day you look at it, generally leases that are decent or better go quickly.

·
Under appreciated
86,507 Posts
I've never had to lease ground. Whats the best time to look?

Seems like right on the verge of a season isnt the best time but I dont know.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Figure out a general area you want to hunt
Know who owns what
Be prepared to get turned down 27 out of 30 times.
Be prepared for 2 yes's to want an EXTREMELY ridiculous amount of money.
Try to scout and understand why 1 said yes.

Knock on doors. Be polite. When someone is an *** to you when saying no, don't be an *** back. Most landowners have been screwed over by those they let on their ground or trespassers.

Do not bring up leasing ground. Just ask if they allow anyone to hunt and if not, would they.

Tell them who you are, where you're from and your hunting experience.

Never have buddies with you when approaching the a landowner.

Be direct and don't waste their time.

Then, once you get permission to the property, the hard part begins.

Good luck and again, stay away from asking if they would lease their ground. You might be surprised at some of the free spots you can pick up.

·
6,338 Posts
pay close attention to surrounding ground, houses close, etc....don`t waste your money on a lot of pasture or crop ground, look for a mix of habitat with big thickets and creek bottoms.....ease of access is a plus.....wont help to have 500 acres and one road in

1 - 8 of 8 Posts