Leasburg makes a heck of a guide

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by I-55 Bandit, May 19, 2013.

1. I-55 Bandit

I-55 Bandit New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    We got to the farm around 9:30 Thursday night and talked to the farmer about where he had been seeing birds and sure enough he said he had seen them in the field leasburg has killed in before. Cows had been in this field until a few weeks ago so the grass was shorter than anything else around for a mile. Friday morning came and we got to the spot we were going to setup and were figuring out where to set the decoys out and an owl hoot solicited a gobble at 5:20 just a couple hundred yards away at most. We scrambled to get setup and settled in. We had 3-4 gobbling on the roost in our tree line and a hen between us and them. They gobbled a few times at our tree talk but shut up when they hit the dirt. Called sparingly and no response. Farmer was feeding cows and making some racket so I didn’t call for 30 or so minutes while everything settled down. A long series of yelps and cuts followed by a shorter series of yelps about 5 minutes later and still no response. A couple minutes later I look out the window and 2 longbeards are on a dead sprint to the decoys with ticked off looks on their faces. We got our guns up as they beat the crap out of the avian jake and did the ole 1…2…booboom! What a way to start out a 3 day trip!
    Saturday morning we went to another spot of riverbottom ground that we had set a blind up in the day before. We got in quiet and were setting the decoys up and a gobbler busted off the roost not 20 yards away and flew across the river. Guess we had it in a good spot. 2 other birds were roosted on either side of us but far and didn’t show any interest. Leasburg napped for four hours while I kept lookout and called. 10:30 came and we had multiple birds gobble on their own directly behind us about 75 yards. Gave them a minute to settle down and started to call to them. No gobbles but a hen and I had some words and she got angry and came in cutting yelpin and purring. I had my gun up as I figured they would be right behind her…no dice. She ended up feeding off and we hung around for a while with no action. On our way out at noon I spotted a strutter and snuck to within 60 or so yards but he got nervous when I ran out of cover and went in the woods. I ended up cutting him off and took a pot shot at him with no results.
    Saturday night we put on a clinic at a local bar and were in bad shape come morning. I got out of the truck, which we slept in, at 7:30 and got my stuff on while Leasburg was sprawled out in pain on the front seat. I made a loop to get back to where we heard birds the previous day and multiple birds were hammering as I got closer. I eased down the creek on the opposite side as them and got to where I thought I was about 75 yards up the creek from them. I got to a spot with an opening so I could shoot across the creek and started some cuts and yelps right after they gobbled. They answered with double and triple gobbles. I worked them for 20 more minutes with 3-4 more calls and then here they came. 3 longbeards all in a row looking right at me expecting to find a hen. All the lead bird found was some #6 to the grill. Awesome hunt and a great way to end a successful but tough season. I’m ready for a break after 22 days of hunting this spring and this will be a great weeknd to look back on to get me fired up for next year. Thanks to leasburg for the invite!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

[file]311483[/file] [file]311485[/file]

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    :claphands::claphands:

3. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Did Leas JR kill one??

4. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    Leas jr stayed home,

we slammed some fish, went sight seeing, killed three birds, both tagged out at some good food and some how managed to polish off three 30 packs

5. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Congratulations, see ya next time. :wave:

6. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    a couple of bonafide turkey killers

7. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
  8. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
  9. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
  10. HarvDog

HarvDog Bro Staff

Mar 14, 2010
    East Side
    30pk per bird, not bad:cheers:

11. leasburg

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    [rquote=2863858&tid=198671&author=HarvDog]30pk per bird, not bad:cheers:[/rquote]

plus two nights at the bar. we are a little wore out to say the least

12. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Is Turkey hunting in Kansas as easy as it looks? Seems like everyone tags out there! Congrats!

13. sbbow

sbbow Active Member

Nice job fellas :claphands::claphands:

14. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=2863876&tid=198671&author=buckwacker181]Is Turkey hunting in Kansas as easy as it looks? Seems like everyone tags out there! Congrats![/rquote]

Lots of turkeys and very little hunting pressure

15. leasburg

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    No were just good

16. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    [rquote=2863876&tid=198671&author=buckwacker181]Is Turkey hunting in Kansas as easy as it looks? Seems like everyone tags out there! Congrats![/rquote]

It's not as easy as it was five or ten years ago, but hey...Kansas has to be good for something.

17. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Nice work burg and fitty-five. :cheers:

18. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Glad the wheat wasn't too tall for him to see