Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

For the first time in many years, I didn't make it out for firearms season. A couple of things in the hopper at the home front kept me out of the woods. Looking to hunt the late season with a smoke pole. But...I never have hunted this season! Any advice? Everything I read says find the food and find the deer. But do they move morning and evening? All day? Are they on the move or hanging local? Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
18,658 Posts
Food Is Key for late season. Evenings are probably going to be better since the deer are probably going to be bedding close to the food source. Try to wait on a weather front, high Barometer, and nice clear blue bird skies.........

·
Really? Show me. .
3,436 Posts
Food is king late season.

Personally I prefer to hunt evenings versus mornings late season especially if it's real cold and I like to be in the stand by 2 pm so I don't have to worry about bumping any early risers. I tend to hunt blinds/stands that are over foodplots/fields or back off 50-100 yards on trails from thick cover to the food source. That's my two cents.

Reactions: TFWarrior

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
From a late season bow hunters point of view, evenings hunt food sources and timber in the mornings. That is how I've had success late season. Granted I've seen larger amounts of deer in the evening, but mornings have always been decent hunting.

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Love the late season. By alternative season it's all about food and evenings are the ticket. But I also have had some awesome morning hunts in December if it's like 30s or above and bear a water source and good cover. But anytime u can get in the tree with the right wind there is a chance bud! Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Late season is my favorite time to hunt . As stated evenings are the ticket . Food is king . Isolated food next to good thermal cover( think cedar trees ) is what you want .Cold weather is a big plus .Undetected entry and exit from your stand is critical . Blow the deer out and it gets real lonesome real quick .

·
Registered
18,658 Posts
Late season is my favorite time to hunt . As stated evenings are the ticket . Food is king . Isolated food next to good thermal cover( think cedar trees ) is what you want .Cold weather is a big plus .Undetected entry and exit from your stand is critical . Blow the deer out and it gets real lonesome real quick .
Strong Point on blowing out deer. In a food source there's going to be multiple eyes and noses working against ya. Especially if your holding out for a certain buck. Pick your stand spots wisely . Keep wind direction always in mind.

·
Under appreciated
86,846 Posts
Not much to add that hasnt been said... careful with the wind and find food sources/funnels to those sources and sit tight.
Good luck!

·
13,444 Posts
Burn a day or 2(IF you can), watch were the deer come out into a field,then go in and set up near there as quietly as you can, they usually bed close by especially if it is real cold...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Depends on the hunting pressure. Some places with heavy pressure, all deer are mostly nocturnal by now. The key is to find the hottest sign and hunt it asap. Deer change food sources frequently depending on weather and wind direction. One day they'll be on greens and the next day they'll be on soybeans or acorns. Hunt the greens during warmer weather. Hunt the soybeans and hard mast in colder weather. In most cases anyways. Right now most bucks are on any food with high energy (fat/carbs) to store fat for the winter and recover from the rut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts