Late season hunts on public land

Discussion in 'Hunting News' started by gleiweke, Dec 8, 2017.

1. gleiweke

gleiweke New Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Newbee to the forum. Just looking get some strategies for late season hunts on pubic land.

kempton likes this.
  2. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    there are some Public Land hunters on here that will speak up.

3. topwater15

topwater15 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Best time of year is late season IMO. Just dont freeze your toes off, literally.

4. Phil in MO

Phil in MO White Gold Prostaff

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    Find the food

venatic likes this.
  5. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    It's gonna be tough, but right now most guys have already hung it up for the year so you'll have the woods to yourself. Hunt the areas that aren't easily accessible and hard to get to. Those are gonna be your best bets because they'll be less pressured. The deer will be using the thickest cover for bedding. Also find the best sources of food. It could be an acorn flat with fresh droppings indicating the deer are using it. If so, hunt it immediately. If you still got a buck tag, the second rut is here. As always hunt where the does are most concentrated and you might get lucky and a buck might be nearby tending one of those does if she's hot. This time of year if a does turns hot, the buck is usually a nice one tending her. Good luck.

manitou1 likes this.
  6. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    Like said before most have hung it up so find food wether close to parking or far away that's probably where they will be. I have seen a lot of deer right by the parking lots because no one hunts close they all want to get as far back as possible. Some public lands leave some crops in for the animals I would find those fields.

WBF and Crappie like this.
  7. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Even though the woods are rolling ankle deep in acorns?

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Up around us many of the acorns we're rotten. The shingle oaks may be dropping now but white oaks have been abandoned weeks ago.

WBF likes this.
  9. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

If you're in my part of the world look for crops and if you're in MOGC's part of the world look for acorns.

Regardless this time of year food is king. Find where they are eating and you will find the deer. I'd try and do more scouting from a distance than hunting to begin with, as they won't put up with much bumping around this time of year, then move in, hang a stand and hunt.

10. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

fields, browse.

WBF likes this.
  11. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

'nuff said. . . .:D

I love your brevity Crappie!

Crappie and WBF like this.
  12. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    If you're hunting National Forest, areas that have been logged in the past 3-5 years can be hotspots. Deer love the tender browse after the acorns go bad and use it for bedding cover.

Crappie and WBF like this.
  13. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    From reading another post, don't hunt public land in Iowa, they butchering people up there.

kempton likes this.