Late Season Bow Hunting Jacket? ORDERED

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by Woods, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    I need to buy a bow hunting jacket for late season.
    Something warm that is still mobile enough to shoot a bow.
    Trying to avoid putting 5-6 layers of clothes on and not be able to move.

SUGGESTION?

Thanks

WOODS

2. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    Was thinking maybe berber or fleece?

3. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    if you want snug fit get a sitka celcius......very athletic cut and extremely warm they are a bit pricey though. i also have a cabelas berber fleece coat with winblocker very warm but have to use a arm guard as its bulky about half the rice of the sitka.

4. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    So far I'm really liking my Arctic Shield. Seem to have really good reviews as well.

5. Bowhunter4life

Bowhunter4life New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    how much you wanna spend

6. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    [rquote=1886599&tid=131436&author=Bowhunter4life]how much you wanna spend[/rquote]

Was hoping for $200 or less...

7. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Cabelas Revolution Fleece

8. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    The HYCREEK stealth bow hunting jacket looks pretty good.

9. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    If I was going to buy what in my opinion is the best hunting clothing it would be the Sitka Gear hands down.

That being said, you'd better be prepared to turn loose of some $.

I have a sitka celsius vest that I wear a lot. I hate wearing a coat while bowhunting and that vest is thin, fits great and unless it's below 30 degrees, I really don't need anything else. It is awesome.

10. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    Well I have to buy something now. So far I like the Hycreek bow hunting jacket.
    It has a total of 430 grams of insulation. No luck on finding any reviews for it.
    Anyone have one?

11. stlhawk

stlhawk New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I have been trying to find a sloution as well. Anyone tried the heater body suits? Looks like a good option since you don't have to wear extensive layers underneath it. You pop out of it to shoot so exposure is not long term.

Wondering if anyone has a review on those things for late season bow hunting?

12. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    [rquote=1925771&tid=131436&author=stlhawk]I have been trying to find a sloution as well. Anyone tried the heater body suits? Looks like a good option since you don't have to wear extensive layers underneath it. You pop out of it to shoot so exposure is not long term.

Wondering if anyone has a review on those things for late season bow hunting?[/rquote]

There's several threads on here about them. $350 is a bit much for my wallet. The Hycreek jacket is $100.

13. stlhawk

stlhawk New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    [rquote=1925773&tid=131436&author=Woods][rquote=1925771&tid=131436&author=stlhawk]I have been trying to find a sloution as well. Anyone tried the heater body suits? Looks like a good option since you don't have to wear extensive layers underneath it. You pop out of it to shoot so exposure is not long term.

Wondering if anyone has a review on those things for late season bow hunting?[/rquote]

There's several threads on here about them. $350 is a bit much for my wallet. The Hycreek jacket is $100. [/rquote]

Thanks for the info I'll search the threads out.

14. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I simple wear my walls Legend coat with my Deu fold artic waight long jhon top as bottom layer and a tee shirt as 3rd layer.

coldest temp i have put that to test with is 0 degrees with 20 mph winds, sitting in a deer stand 16 feet up in air from 6am to 3pm in after noon.

Even in cold cold temps you dont want to be walking around in the artic waight long jons thouhg. I have to cary them along wiht me and dress at hunt location. Or i start sweating.

Deu fold long jons artic waight cost 49.00 fr tops and 45.00 for the bottoms. The Walls Legend coat costs 79.99 last i checked. The jumpsuite costs 139.99 last i checked and the bibs cost 119.00

I use my set all season long, for past 10 years and they have held up. Just be mindfull of how you wash them. But mainly how you dry them.

15. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    This is all I will use, I've got it all coat, bibs, boot covers and 2 different types of their gloves. It's money well spent.

http://www.arcoutdoors.com/

16. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    Ordered the hycreek jacket, let yall know how I like it.

WOODS

[file]152806[/file]

17. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    will be interested to see your review of it.

18. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I am a layers guy.....

polar weight base layer
    jeans
    couple of long sleeve henlys
    heavy sweatshirt
    insulated cold weather bibs
    cabelas fleece jacket with windshear
    stocking cap with facemask
    glommits
    wool socks
    boots with 800 grams of thinsulate

And I'm good down to about 10 degrees. Below that I'll have to add another layer under my jacket. The main problem is carrying most of that to my stand so I don't get too hot.

19. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    [rquote=1925993&tid=131436&author=archer66]I am a layers guy.....

polar weight base layer
    jeans
    couple of long sleeve henlys
    heavy sweatshirt
    insulated cold weather bibs
    cabelas fleece jacket with windshear
    stocking cap with facemask
    glommits
    wool socks
    boots with 800 grams of thinsulate

And I'm good down to about 10 degrees. Below that I'll have to add another layer under my jacket. The main problem is carrying most of that to my stand so I don't get too hot.[/rquote]

And being able to move enough to draw a bow...

20. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    The biggest issue with staying warm is make sure you stay dry. If you wear any cotton you are likely to get colder, especially if you sweat. I am a laying person too. I always start with a tight poly baselayer made out of a fabric which wicks moisture. I cover this with fleece long underwear. Then I wear another looser moisture wicking jacket (similar to what runners wear) follow this up with my gore-tex windproof jacket (LL Bean jacket) works great and keeps me toasty warm.