Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, gonna go out again this weekend for the last gasp hunts to try to get Dalton (my 10yr old son) his bird. This has been a very frustrating season for him and I really want to see if we can get his bird.

So far this season I have called in 10 mature gobblers and 3 jakes and Dalton has taken 8 shots but no birds to show for it. I finally figured out what he's been doing so if they show tomorrow or Sunday, I'll think they'll be in trouble. He's been pulling his head right at the shot and just shooting over the birds. We switched him to a youth model 500 20ga Mossberg this season and he thinks the gun is jinxed.

He and I were trying to pull off a double in the blind two weekends ago, I normally shoot left handed but needed to try this one right handed. Note to self- If you ever try that again, make sure and sight with the right eye and not the left!!! Otherwise, you'll shoot a mile high and just scare the birds!:wink:

All in all, I've had a wonderful season and am hopeful for success this weekend.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Good luck to the 2 of you this weekend. This morning we had a few birds talking but the hens kept leading them away from us.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
EIGHT shots at birds without a kill?:eek: Are you kidding me right now?

HOLY CRAP man, who's teaching this kid to shoot? AND who's letting him miss more than two times before pulling him from hunting and back in for more practice?

I wasn't raised to practice afield. Maybe it's just me, but EIGHT MISSES is way too much to be going back out there this year.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 shots. I only hope they were all really misses and not cripples. I think there comes a time when the best approach in whatever your doing is take a seat on the bench and rethink the situation for awhile.

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by Hayzer
EIGHT shots at birds without a kill?:eek: Are you kidding me right now?

HOLY CRAP man, who's teaching this kid to shoot? AND who's letting him miss more than two times before pulling him from hunting and back in for more practice?
My thought EXACTLY!! I don't want to dog on you or your kid but this is WAY too many missed shots without figuring out what was wrong with either the gun or the kid. What if an errant shot would have killed or wounded a hen? It's just not worth taking that chance! Let's use our heads, here!

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Originally posted by mrmurph
I finally figured out what he's been doing so if they show tomorrow or Sunday, I'll think they'll be in trouble.
Geeze easy fellas !

Sounds like he's got it figured out !!!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
:peepwall: I'm dodging bullets and comments here! :eek: I'm not going to pick sides, just offer a solution.

Mrm......I will say that your son has missed TOO many times to keep him using the same setup......here's an easy solution, but it will cost you about $150 to do: Get a B-Square scope mount for that shotgun, and put a red dot scope on it. Even if he doesn't seat his head right, the shot goes where the red dot is. They are VERY effective and fun to use.

Parker

·
5,632 Posts
I'm sorry if I came across as a jerk. I don't mean to jump on anyone. It's just that 8 misses in one season is a whole lot! Kinda took me off guard.

Hope you get him figured out and I hope he gets a bird!

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
:peepwall: I'm dodging bullets and comments here! :eek: I'm not going to pick sides, just offer a solution.

Mrm......I will say that your son has missed TOO many times to keep him using the same setup......here's an easy solution, but it will cost you about $150 to do: Get a B-Square scope mount for that shotgun, and put a red dot scope on it. Even if he doesn't seat his head right, the shot goes where the red dot is. They are VERY effective and fun to use.

Parker
I've seen that setup and watched youth kill deer with it. Along WITH that though, they're using a fixed tripod from a blind. It's a lot easier to hold that gun still.

Good idea Parker

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
I agree thats a lot of shooting and I'm not saying it's alright either.

Hunting with a kid is a lot different than teaching an adult.

His line about getting it figured out was good for me.

And I don't think you or anyone else posting here is a jerk !!!!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Pistol, rifle, shotgun, mloader.....I've seen them all used well. Just get a scope in the $100 range so that they can handle the shock of a heavier load going off.

Parker

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by Parker

Parker
I used the b square mount on my daughters youth model 870 20 ga., with a cheap tasco shotgun scope, and she smoked birds with it....good advice Parker!!!! In my opinion, this would be money well spent, and would help keep the boy from getting any more discouraged than he already is!!!!!! Good luck to you both this weekend.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Just tell your son to keep his head up and to not get too discouraged. I know a couple of guys that have been hunting for years that have missed several birds this year. As of yesterday 1 of the guys has missed 4 already. As long as none of the birds were hit and injured I would say no harm no foul. Just making them smarter for next season.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Easy does it there fellows. I'm not exactly new at this and I have taught more than one child how to shoot and how to hunt. I believe that there are probably more than a few adults that have come to a point where they do everything right on the bench but then in the field, they aren't quite doing what they want so let's simmer down.

Hayzer, did you see anything in that post that led you to believe that all he has done is hunt and not go back to the practice bench? Was there anything in that post that makes you believe that he is not already a successful hunter? This child has spent more time at the bench than I care to consider and at the bench he does great. His shots have been clean misses. I KNOW what he is doing and have taken the steps to correct it. I do not believe that he will repeat these errors after the steps we have taken to correct the problem.

JMAC- What if an errant shot hit a hen? Who said anything about errant shots? I said clean misses and didn't mention squat about any hens.

Who has taught this child to hunt you ask? I have and I'll shoot and hunt against any of the negative responders to this post. I might mention that this same child, prior to this season, has fired 3 shots at big game and killed 2 bucks and one gobbler dead in their tracks.

I like this forum and I like the way that people help people solve their problems. I'd like to see it stay that way without members feeling the need to jump off the deep end based on limited knowledge. Before you pass judgment, you might want to look into your own history and make sure that you have always performed perfectly in the heat of the moment. I'd hazard to guess that not everyone has.

By the way, thanks to all the positive comments and people offering reasonable suggestions. I appreciate the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.