Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been turkey hunting every weekend with no luck in harvesting a turkey. i will talk to them for about an hour and get them to come in with in 80-100 yds but cant get them to come closer....any suggestions...i know they say the last 100 yds is the hardest because the hens in the wild usually come to the toms.

·
Registered
647 Posts
We had a hen come up to the blind, lay down on some dirt and take a bath. That was it! We heard some gobblers in the distance but not even loud enough to locate them.

Atleast you brought them in atleast 100 yards. If we got 'em that close we would try to determine which direction they were headed in and try to cut them off before they reach their destination - that is if they aren't already headed in the direction of our decoy. I know it's tough if they sneak off with the hens but once you get them within 100 yards and they decided to switch directions, pay close attention to which way they turn. I'm new to this too but that's what I have learned from veterans.

In fact, if I explained this wrong I hope one of the veterans hops on here and corrects me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
"Ive been turkey hunting every weekend with no luck in harvesting a turkey."

Four days hunting turkey with no luck...not surprising. I have better luck hunting deer with my bow than turkey with a shotgun. Patience and perserverence pay off in turkey hunting...stick with it, you'll get one :cheers:

·
Registered
42,104 Posts
Originally posted by Center Punch
get where they want to be. quietly.
Ditto that... being where the turkey wants to be is a big part of it..

Also, if they are hanging up at 100 yards, is it the same place? Maybe theres something around 100 yards thats keeping them from coming on in.. i.e. a fence, thick underbrush, water, etc...

Also, if you are calling to them, make sure and try calling quieter and less as they come in.. if still hanging up and constsantly doing so.. if you are hunting with a buddy and they are calling, have them back up 50 yards and call to them.. if you are by yourself, then you back up making them think the hen is leaving them..

Also, getting in on top of them silently and not being seen can help, some toms want you right on top of them before they will do anything.. if you go with this method, make sure and do not call loud to rattle the tree limbs it will scare him.. just putt and purr softly...

Theres no tried and true method, each turkey, each scenario will present its own hurdles...

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
deerslayer75, do you hunt with a partner. If so have him crawl off calling softly and you sit tight. This sometimes works when you don't use decoys. And make sure and do like Rebel said and check for some obstruction to them getting to you.

Jack

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do hunt with my dad....ive actually hunted about 7 days now acouple during the weekend.i do use decoys. the tom has talked to me back and forth for about an hour everytime just never will come closer.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Well you might leave your dad sitting and you work slowly off calling less and less as you go. If you have some leaves you can rake as you go do that lightly also. Sometimes you'll find a Tom who can't stand to be given the cold shoulder. When you set up sit in the timber behind your dad about 5-10 yards and use no decoys.

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.