Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

When bow hunting from a tree do you prefer a ladder or lock on stand?

• Ladder

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • Lock on

Votes: 10 24.4%

Ladder or lock on stand for bow hunting?

2K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  HarvDog 
#1 ·
I have always hunted out of ladder stands as I find them comfortable and safe. Never have tried a lock on stand. Only problem I keep running into with ladder stands is sometimes the prefect tree does not present itself where I want to hang a stand.

#2 ·
I prefer a lock on for placement but ladders for safety. I have move to using only ladders but may use loc ons again with life lines. I have had one break and a buddy had one break. Mine was the steal cable holding the platform the other was a year old strap. I have never had a ladder stand fail but I have been close with one that didn’t have pins in the ladder sections. Climbed it in the dark and about 5 feet up I realized the ladder had separated. Luckily the ladder was about a foot in he dirt and didn’t totally fall over.

#8 ·
I Mix and match depending on the tree and situation. I have updated all my loc-on's and Ladders To Zero Gravity seats . As @bowhuntKS stated... If you go the ladder route make sure to purchase stands of various heights. It can be difficult at times to locate a tree in the right spot that will accept a 20 ft ladder stand. As for Loc-Ons go for the models that have the option to level the stand/base. Ive retired ALL of my stands that have a rubber coated cable supporting the platform. I'm also a big fan of the X-Stand Ladder Models.

#9 ·
I have ladder stands that I leave up year round! And I have hang ons deeper in the woods were its hard to get a ladder stand. Lately I’ve been using my climber so i can hunt a new spot each time i walk into the woods. My climber is by far the most comfortable stand I own.

#13 ·
I have both but these new ladder stands are so big and comfy you can cat nap in them. The only hangon I'll use now is Millennium. The Xstand is great but really tough to move since it's so heavy. These Field and Stream stands are perfect middle ground. They're built very strong and are manageable to move. I have 4 of the Outpost XL's now and use an aluminum ladder to fasten ratchet straps on them. I moved my Xstand 20 a couple weeks ago and vowed to let it rust where it is and not move again since it's so long and heavy.

https://m.fieldandstreamshop.com/search/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=Field and stream ladder stand

Reactions: BustinBucks
#25 ·
Without help I bet the xstand is very difficult to move and set up. I get my 11 year old and wife to help (she just loves moving deer stands) and we dont' have any problem.

I agree a climber is very comfortable just got to have the perfect tree.

#26 ·
I have three of the x-stand smaller models, I believe they are 17 foot and 91 pounds. I manage to set them by myself, not hard when using the spikes to keep the base grounded. Picked up 2 of the general models this year (22 footers and bigger platform/heavier), feel like they are going to be more of a challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.