Koi in a Spring pond?

Discussion in '(MDC)General Wildlife Habitat Management' started by sandals, May 8, 2015.

1. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    A friend of mine gave me about 40 small 1-2 year old koi and 1 large 10+ year old. I've never kept koi before but was thinking about putting them into a spring fed pond on the property. There are currently no fish in the pond, it is about 4 feet deep, and 60 - 80 feet in diameter.

Anyone have any experience with koi? Will the cool water not be good for them? Can I do anything to help them evade being eaten by the otters/herons?

I have another pond, not fed by a spring that is roughly 2 acres in size. Right now it is loaded with crappie and catfish. Would the koi be better off in there? Will they negatively effect the pond or fish that are all ready in there?

If koi are something to avoid let me know, I won't have any problems using them as catfish bait.

2. Maconplc

Maconplc Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Catfish bait. Koi are pretty prolific and if you put them in a pond that will support them, they will multiply rapidly. I am guessing the fishless spring fed pond does not have fish because it will not support them (either summer or winter gets them). I also assume it is pretty good for amphibians like frogs, toads, and salamanders (most fishless ponds are). The other pond currently has fish worth catching. Koi are essentially pretty carp so I would never recommend stocking them in a pond.

Thanks for taking the time to check on it before tossing them in. It's a little step that can save you a ton of aggravation down the road.