Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unmolested 50 cal Knight MK 85 - showed up at the door today.
Never messed with one so now I'm doing the mental coin flip...

Keep and shoot it as is...
Keep and convert to 209 disc and shoot it...
Move it on down the road...

What to do, what to do...

Attachments

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Shoot it as is.

Reactions: tcwild

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Good friend of mine has one and loves it. It’s a pretty good shooter. He’s still got the percussion cap on his. Walnut stock though.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Keep it #11. You really wont gain anything with the 209 FPJ setup. What you will gain is a much worse crud ring if using Triple7 powder. The crud ring is minimal with #11s.

Hard to tell from the pics but....It does not look like a early model and the front site globe is not on all the way. So its likely a GM barrel.

I would only upgrade it to a hex head breach plug if it hasnt been already.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I leave it as-is, it will be shot with real black. I have several pounds of the real McCoy so I see no reason to buy substitutes... the only reason I am considering 209s is because I came across a couple boxes of pellets and this would be the only gun I have that could shoot them. When I dug out the pellets, they were with packages of sabots which now makes me wonder why I ever sold my Encore...

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to tell from the pics but....the front site globe is not on all the way.
I thought that as well, but it is on as far as it can physically go.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The hood should have a notch near the middle. It fits in the front sight. Might have to spread it open a tiny bit to slip over the sight.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Just for grins do this too. Take the action out of the stock.

Look on both sides of the trigger. Make sure it says Timney. ALL MK85s had Timney Triggers but sometimes people swap them out with the Velocity trigger knock offs.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hood should have a notch near the middle. It fits in the front sight. Might have to spread it open a tiny bit to slip over the sight.
Thanks for the advice, but this is a long way from being my first rodeo with sights and hoods. It probably has the wrong hood on it. And yes, it has a Timney trigger. I pulled the barrel so I could check it for rust, pitting and to make sure the breech would come out like it should

Gas Tints and shades Rectangle Auto part Font

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
Nice look'n pea shooter, I'd probably just shoot it as is.... :wave1:

Reactions: htredneck

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice look'n pea shooter, I'd probably just shoot it as is.... :wave1:
Same guy was supposed to bring me a 16 gauge Elsie... that didn't happen though.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Found the pics of the MK85 Predator i bought. NIB for $160....man i stole that sucker at a gunshow. Should have never sold it but i already had a sweet 54cal carbine.

Same hood as yours and it also sticks out a little further.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts