Knife Sharpeners

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by DADAKOTA, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I am lousy with a sharpening stone. Anyone recommend a good knife sharpener I could buy?

2. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    For a quick sharpen I like the speedy sharp,fits in your pocket.Excellent for broadheads to

3. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    I have one of these and really like it.

[file]143582[/file]

4. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    After cutting up that doe last night.
    I came to the same conclusion. I need a good sharpener!!!!!!!

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    This type of ceramic knife sharpener is the easiest, fool proof method that I have come across. Course side, and a fine side. You can sometimes find a Rapala version of this at Wally World. It has a gray body. There is also a cheap red one that will be in the camping section that is fine side only, and it works fine.

The best thing about them is that they are fool-proof. No angles to worry about and easy to put in a pocket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Ceramic-...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230b105f5c

Parker

6. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
  7. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
  8. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1867879&tid=130031&author=Trad-hunter]Lansky is the only way to go!
    www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKC03.php[/rquote]

:shrug: Too much work involved for me when I'm outside cutting up a catfish or a deer.

Parker

9. yankee

yankee Senior Member

if you do alot of knives often, id recommend something like this

http://www.consumersearch.com/knife...ond-hone-3-stage-professional-knife-sharpener

if your doing just a few kitchen knives along with a filet and hunting knife, id recommend 4 -10" oil stones, 1 each of course -medium and fine and a Arkansas hard stone, once you learn the stone you'll never look back, it's not that hard to learn, just requires some patience, and the ability to hold a 15 to 17 degree angle when sharpening, you'd be surprised how many people run knives backwards across the stone which rolls the edge

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1867884&tid=130031&author=Parker][rquote=1867879&tid=130031&author=Trad-hunter]Lansky is the only way to go!
    www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKC03.php[/rquote]

:shrug: Too much work involved for me when I'm outside cutting up a catfish or a deer.

Parker[/rquote] vince when your cutting up fish or deer you should start with a sharp knife, you use a steel to dress the edge up, the lansky is made to sharpen the knife and the steel is made to help keep the edge, the lansky is nothing you would want to use in the heat of battle:rof2::rof2::rof2:

11. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    If you want a perfect razor sharp edge that anyone can do, go with the lansky! I carry a ceramic stick in my pack for touch ups, but I dont solely sharpen with one.

12. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :D Heat of battle is a good way of putting it. :D

If I go inside to 'take a break' from cutting, I end up on here. :D

Parker

13. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I love my lansky system. I can sharpen my knives and my son's Magnus Stinger broadheads to hair shaving sharp.