kleen de bird do ya??

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by beanpile, Apr 23, 2006.

1. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Pluck or de breast
    personally I just de breast..maybe grab the legs

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I plucked them for years but now I just keep the breast. We never eat much of the rest of the bird......and those darned pin feathers suck! I just filet out the two breast pieces and cut that into strips for use in whatever dish the wife wants to prepair that particular day. My favorite is BBQ'd on the grill or even plain ol fried turkey strips. Lately the wife has put "US" on a diet and have baked strips put into a salad. Even that is pretty darned good.

3. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Me too. Breast 'em out.

4. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

likem that way// I'v smoked one on the grill..better than I expected

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Fried nuggets here!

Parker

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    If it's for deep frying, plucked. Otherwise breasted out.

Jack

7. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I am a breast man!:D

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    ditto :cheers:

9. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    breast em out, and take the legs also. its just way to much work to pluck.

10. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    My dad has a fishfry every year for his birthday. So we alway try to pluck them if we can. We they have too much led in them then we always de breast. lol

11. last time I did that i got smacked:D

12. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    had a buddy that wanted the legs off one a couple years ago. told him he was wasting his time but he said he would use them in a stew and cook them real slow. couple months later he said he cooked them over 12 hours real slow like and it was still like chewing on leather.

13. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I debreast mine.
    My favorite way so far is to take each breast half and cut it in half width wise, then cut each piece in half. It gives you a thinner, pretty decent sized piece of breast meat. Then I run them through the electric tenderizer and deep fry them like a tenderloin or something and have it on a sandwich. Delicious, and melts in your mouth

14. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I skin, then debone hanging. I go after the thighs, much better than the legs.

15. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I guess I must be the only one who also takes the thighs and the wings? Put them in the slow cooker with your favorite seasonings and the tenderize pretty well. Anyone else get that hunk of white meat out of the back? Man, when I'm done with it, there isnt anything left.

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I just debreasted mine today. Worked pretty slick. My past experience with wild turkey legs is that they are real tough and sinewy.

17. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Nope, I skin the whole thing, and we eat it all. :cheers:

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i agree with the rest but i also keep the thighs and legs for my gumbo mm m m m

19. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    If its got meat on it I use it. The legs, wings, and back get slow cooked, then deboned and add some carrots,celery potatoes, homemade egg noodles and some spices and it makes a fine meal. The breast I cut into strips, cut a pocket in it, stuff the pocket with cheese, then wrap in bacon and grill. The breast tenders get battered then deep fried. I still havent found a recipe to make the feathers taste good.